[KPhotoAlbum] Super-category management

Baptiste MATHUS ml at batmat.net
Sat Nov 25 13:04:58 GMT 2006

Hi all,

Inline

2006/11/21, Michael J Gruber <michaeljgruber+gmane+kimdaba at fastmail.fm>:
> Baptiste MATHUS venit, vidit, dixit 2006-11-21 01:35:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > It's been a long time I'm wondering why in KPA it's possible to do
> > that, say a super-category A would be composed of B, C and... A.
> >
> > I don't think it's logical and I don't see a use case where it could
> > be useful. So, I think that when selecting categories of a
> > super-category, the super-category should not be present.
> >
> > I never programmed with Qt (cuf cuf, before tonight) but did some C++
> > and a lot of C some years ago. So I just did a small patch to show
> > it's easy to patch the code so as to proceed as I'm proposing. This
> > patch also modifies the code to not act when clicking on the category
> > that was already selected so its children were already selected too.
>
> The reason for selecting the super-category automatically (as it used to
> be) is that this allows searching and browsing by super-category.

Well, if I understand you correctly, the patch I provided does not
suppress this feature. It's just aimed at not permitting to configure
a category to contain itself, which I can't find useful.

In fact, I obviously also want to keep being able to search my photos
by super-categories.  For example, some persons are grouped under a
super-category which is their family name. I often use this feature
when I want to send some photos of a whole family (say children,
parents, pets :)) to one of the family.

> So, please make sure that searching and browsing by super-category still
> work and that it's still possible to select super-categories when no
> sub-category is selected.

If you have time to test my patch, you should see it keeps this
feature completely unchanged, as I understand it.

A new version is attached, I improved the last one a little bit so as
the listbox does not scroll to the top on each click.

See you

--
Baptiste <Batmat> Mathus
BMathus at Batmat point net - http://batmat.net