[KPhotoAlbum] KPA Selection model not natural ? Bug using the date instead of the "display order"

Robert L Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Sun Nov 5 21:02:46 GMT 2006

   Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 16:58:58 +0100
   From: "Baptiste MATHUS" <ml at batmat.net>

   I recently bought a new cam (powershot s3 is), so I'm using KPA a lot
   these days :-). I'm encountering problems with the selection model
   chosen in KPA. I really feel it's not natural, or not usual at least :

   I just checked in konqueror, nautilus (or further, in the windows
   explorer) : the selection model is always : "select the photos that
   are in the frame I'm drawing with my mouse".

   In KPA, it's different, let's try to explain with words :
   if you begin drawing the frame, it selects not only what's in the
   frame, but also the photos in the display order. Well, it's not clear
   at all this way.

   Example, my thumbnails are quite large in the viewer (256 pixels), so
   I've got about 4 thumbnails a line :
    1 | 2 | 3 | 4
    5 | 6 | 7 | 8

   If you display this kind of thing in konqueror, or nautilus, or the
   windows explorer (I do not know Mac OS's choice) and draw a frame
   around, say, the images 4 and 8, you will have selected images 4 and
   8.

   In KPA, this will select 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8... I understand what the
   model is, but I don't think it's the best choice so as to help new
   users to get into KPA usage, for example.
   If this feature was designed this way on purpose, and this has to
   stay, I think this would be then really interesting to have an option
   to use the "classical" selection model.

It used to the be this way, but it was intentionally changed (for the
better, IMHO).  It was always a real pain selecting a range of images
-- I'd have to select most of them, and then go back to the beginning
and end of the range to select the rest.  The new way works a lot
better.

The issue here is that the sequence of images has to be presented in a
grid in order to display a reasonable number on the screen.  Where a
particular image is horizontally is completely arbitrary.

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf at uunet.uu.net

--Eric Crampton