[KPhotoAlbum] KPA Selection model not natural ? Bug using the date instead of the "display order"

Baptiste MATHUS ml at batmat.net
Sun Nov 5 15:58:58 GMT 2006

Hey,

I recently bought a new cam (powershot s3 is), so I'm using KPA a lot
these days :-). I'm encountering problems with the selection model
chosen in KPA. I really feel it's not natural, or not usual at least :

I just checked in konqueror, nautilus (or further, in the windows
explorer) : the selection model is always : "select the photos that
are in the frame I'm drawing with my mouse".

In KPA, it's different, let's try to explain with words :
if you begin drawing the frame, it selects not only what's in the
frame, but also the photos in the display order. Well, it's not clear
at all this way.

Example, my thumbnails are quite large in the viewer (256 pixels), so
I've got about 4 thumbnails a line :
 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
 5 | 6 | 7 | 8

If you display this kind of thing in konqueror, or nautilus, or the
windows explorer (I do not know Mac OS's choice) and draw a frame
around, say, the images 4 and 8, you will have selected images 4 and
8.

In KPA, this will select 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8... I understand what the
model is, but I don't think it's the best choice so as to help new
users to get into KPA usage, for example.
If this feature was designed this way on purpose, and this has to
stay, I think this would be then really interesting to have an option
to use the "classical" selection model.

Then, even with the present model, I've got some problems, maybe due
to my conf. So I 'd really like to know if the behaviour is different
or the same on your machine :
Display say 20 thumbnails. Click the the image "4" as in my last
example. Press Shift and go down.

The behaviour I was waiting for was KPA to select 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8,
it's not the case. I just noticed it seems to be due to the fact my
images are not sorted : KPA seems to be using the date order and not
the order of the images appearing ?! Was this an intended behaviour ?
If yes, it's really difficult to understand.

Let me know what you think. Do not hesitate to ask me to test some
things if you'd like precisions.

--
Baptiste <Batmat> Mathus
BMathus at Batmat point net - http://batmat.net