[KPhotoAlbum] Optimization of index.xml

Jesper K. Pedersen blackie at blackie.dk
Tue Aug 29 16:47:10 BST 2006

Yes this is my aim. Start with a sqllite db by default (replacing the XML
backend, and hopefully throwing a lot of code out not to be maintained). Then
if the user gets more advanced needs - let that be speed, let that be network
access, let that be multi users - then he will be able to convert to another
backend.

On Tuesday 29 August 2006 10:25, Baptiste MATHUS wrote:
| 2006/8/29, jedd :
| > On Tuesday 29 August 2006 8:17 pm, Marco Molteni wrote:
| >  ] Jesper Jesper Jesper. I always though you were smart, and mentioning
| >  ] sqlite confirms it! :-) A database is fine, but it must be completely
| >  ] hidden from the user, otherwise we would really look like the geeky
| > guys ] that use a bazooka to kill a fly.
| >
| >  As I understand it, it's very tricky to make a multi-user database
| >  using sqlite - at least in the way that we (well, I) want to have
| >  multi-user functionality working - ie, across the network.
| >
| >  I'd be curious if Tuomas' SoC project scope extends to the various
| >  utilities needed to convert to and from different database backends
| >  (assuming different backends are supported).
| >
| >  For my own part, I'd be happy with it requiring either mysql or
| >  postgresql, but I understand what you're saying wrt complexity for
| >  the new user.  I'd imagine they'd get an index.xml by default, and
| >  that's where the conversion tool(s) would then come in handy.
|
| In this strategy, the kind of db backend selection at first startup
| could be inspired by the one of amarok (which uses a db backend, but
| lets you choose sqlite, postgres or mysql as I seem to remember).
|
| The choice of a "not-to-install" db would be simply the best, I think.
| Even if I am a developer, so I could cope with it, if there's a way to
| protect my lazyness without spoiling it in configuring mysql of
| postgres, I say PERFECT ! :-).
|
| @++

thousands of images?