[KPhotoAlbum] Optimization of index.xml

Baptiste MATHUS divers at batmat.net
Tue Aug 29 15:25:08 BST 2006

2006/8/29, jedd :
> On Tuesday 29 August 2006 8:17 pm, Marco Molteni wrote:
>  ] Jesper Jesper Jesper. I always though you were smart, and mentioning
>  ] sqlite confirms it! :-) A database is fine, but it must be completely
>  ] hidden from the user, otherwise we would really look like the geeky guys
>  ] that use a bazooka to kill a fly.
>
>  As I understand it, it's very tricky to make a multi-user database
>  using sqlite - at least in the way that we (well, I) want to have
>  multi-user functionality working - ie, across the network.
>
>  I'd be curious if Tuomas' SoC project scope extends to the various
>  utilities needed to convert to and from different database backends
>  (assuming different backends are supported).
>
>  For my own part, I'd be happy with it requiring either mysql or
>  postgresql, but I understand what you're saying wrt complexity for
>  the new user.  I'd imagine they'd get an index.xml by default, and
>  that's where the conversion tool(s) would then come in handy.

In this strategy, the kind of db backend selection at first startup
could be inspired by the one of amarok (which uses a db backend, but
lets you choose sqlite, postgres or mysql as I seem to remember).

The choice of a "not-to-install" db would be simply the best, I think.
Even if I am a developer, so I could cope with it, if there's a way to
protect my lazyness without spoiling it in configuring mysql of
postgres, I say PERFECT ! :-).

@++

--
Baptiste <Batmat> Mathus