[KimDaBa] more ideas for kimdaba

Martin Höller martin at xss.co.at
Wed Sep 28 10:00:32 BST 2005

On 28 Sep 2005, Jean-Michel FAYARD wrote:

> Do you really find deep hierarchy easier to use than a flat list with
> a search field at the top like in kimdaba or in amarok ?
> You have always to expand/unexpand folders,
> think about the best way to organise things. Well of course for locations
> it seems pretty straight forward, but for the persons for example
> Friends / Family / Coworker / ...
> What if a co worker is also your friend...
> With a flat list and a search box, I just type a few letters and I am done.

I see what you mean and I agree with you that a flat hierarchy has
advantages in some/many cases. But what I was talking about doesn't effect
the use of groups in any way.

You can use these hierarchical groups within kimdaba already and that is
how i use them (actually only for locations at the moment). The search
works fine, no matter if the requested item is at the top or deep down the
hierarchy.

What I meant was to simplify the organizing of my groups. As i may use
hierarchical groups i would really like to get a nice way to manage them
and this is IMHO something like a tree-view.

> Seeing your example, I wonder if when I type "chin", every location in
> this member-group "china" is selected. If yes, I think your tree-view
> would bring nothing to me.

Yes it is. And it actually works in kimdaba. And again, i only want the
tree-view to get an overview of my groups.

i hope it's clearer now what i meant.

- martin

--
    mailto:martin.hoeller at xss.co.at  |    Taunt not the sysadmin,