[KimDaBa] Suggestion for multiple labeling?

Wes Hardaker wjhns25 at hardakers.net
Tue Sep 20 01:45:42 BST 2005

>>>>> On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 15:19:14 +0200, "Marco Colnaghi" <marco.colnaghi at libero.it> said:

Marco> Using kimdaba more and more (I really love it) with my images I
Marco> feel the need to see image lables quickly while cataloging.

FYI, I actually have a system that I use now that allows me to catalog
a large number of images very quickly using a combination of tokens
assigned while full-screen viewing and another script later that
assigns things to each token.  Unfortunately, this other script is
external.

What I like about it is that I temporarily assign a key 'r' for Robert
in a particular group of pictures, and then as I page through a full
screen view I simply type r for every Robert picture.  It's much
faster, IMHO, than using the configure-one-image-at-a-time browser
because I can add a ton of tags to a bunch of images one click at a
time.  As long as I don't need more than 26 temporary tags.  Also,
because I tend to rank them with quality key words it also means that
I'm judging a full screen view rather than a smaller view, which when
I'm working on finding the best of my pictures, is critical.  'r' some
other time may mean someone else, but the temporary token binding is
critical to fast processing.  For a long time I'd go backward and
forward to the token list and manually select all images with ctrl-a
and then ctrl-2 to select the people I wanted, or whatever, but I
think the way I'm doing it now is much faster.  I know some people
don't want key bindings for people, but I think temporary bindings is
very very useful.

I'll post these scripts publically if anyone is interested.

[they also let you move pictures around using keywords or tokens, so
you can move or copy all pictures of robert into a special sub
directory or something if you need to.  The kimdaba database is much
more flexible and preferable, but sometimes I do need specific things
in particular directories for uploading, sharing, etc]