[KimDaBa] Main irritations in Kimdaba: Selections and serial configuration

Jesper K. Pedersen blackie at blackie.dk
Sun Nov 20 10:37:13 GMT 2005

On Friday 18 November 2005 22:27, Lars Clausen wrote:
| Hello Jesper (and other developers)!
|
| This is the classical "thank you for a great program, here's what really
| needs to change" mail:)  KimDaBa has become my picture organizing
| program of choice after trying out quite a few that just weren't up to
| handling large amounts of pictures.  I am especially fond of the keyword
| & grouping system, it's the only of its kind I've seen making sense.  So
| many thanks for helping me getting organized -- Lord knows I need that:)
|
| There is (as in all programs) things I'd like to see improved in
| KimDaBa, these are the most important ones in v. 2.1:
|
| Selecting a group: When selecting by clicking one picture then
| shift-clicking another, I expect (from just about every other interface
| I've seen) to select all pictures from the first to the second, not a
| rectangular subset of the columns.  Typical use scenario:  I have a
| number of pictures taken at one occasion that I want to all mark with
| appropriate keywords.  Right now, I'd have to select them individually
| or select too many and deselect a bunch.  Very annoying.
This is a Qt issue out of my control. It might change when I upgrade to Qt4, I
dunno.

| Serial configuration: I often have a series of related pictures
| together, and it would be nice if the keywords I select for one picture
| are automatically selected for the next one, or easily toggled or
| something.  I feel rather stupid setting the same four keywords on a
| series of pictures.  The exact interface is not obvious, but I'm
| thinking KimDaBa could consider a keyword that is set explicitly (as
| opposed to having been set earlier) to be 'sticky' and also be set when
| going on to the next picture.  Having something like this would save me
| much time when going through a group.
Wouldn't "configure several images at a time" help you here?

| That the HTML export seems to be broken I have no problem with right
| now, I'm still busy going through old photos:)  It's slightly more
| annoying that with four columns of keywords, the keywords + preview
| side-by-side are too big to fit my screen and cannot in 2.1 be made
| smaller.
Did you try the HTML galary KIPI plugin? HTML generation is by far not
KimDaBa's strong side, not its main focus, so I'd rather have this handled by
plugins. I'd be happy to see more KIPI plugins for generating HTML to
different PHP backends etc.

Jesper K. Pedersen          |  Klarälvdalens Datakonsult
Senior Software Engineer    |  www.klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
Prinsensgade 4a st.         |
9800 Hjørring               |  Platform-independent
Denmark                     |  software solutions