[KimDaBa] Main irritations in Kimdaba: Selections and serial configuration

Martin Höller martin at xss.co.at
Sun Nov 20 21:36:09 GMT 2005

On 20 Nov 2005, Lars Clausen wrote:

> On Sun, 2005-11-20 at 21:59 +0100, Martin Höller wrote:
> > On 20 Nov 2005, Lars Clausen wrote:
> >
> > > Sounds like rather a lot of a kludge to me.  What would be nice would be
> > > if when going to a 'next' image in the config editor, if that image has
> > > no keywords set, just set the ones the previous image had.
> >
> > Do you think this is really an improvement? What if i got some pictures
> > from a party. The keywords i want to set are the location, "party" and the
> > persons on the images. What i do is going to the first picture, select the
> > location and the keyword "party" and the 2 friends A and B that are on
> > this picture.
> >
> > After clicking "next", there are a few other friends (C, D and E), so i
> > have to unselect A and B and than select C, D and E.
> >
> > The only advantage i see so far is that i don't have to set the location
> > and "party" on every picture, but usually i set this for a couple of
> > pictures at once any way, so the improvement completely disappears.
>
> I usually set, say, location first, too, but because of the strange
> selection mechanism in the thumbnail view (see other irritation point),
> it is cumbersome to do so.

Ok, this is a bug and should be fixed anyway. IIRC Jesper mentioned that
it is a bug in KIconSelection (or something similar) and is out of his
control. But maybe its fixed already in a library and would just need
kimdaba to recombile.

> >  Even
> > worse: cause i have to deselect some friends first, the necessary clicks
> > increment!
>
> I guess it depends on how you take pictures.  I don't tend to take many
> party pictures, but more sceneries, where I'll take a series of pictures
> of the same subject, or sports, where I'll use the continuous shooting a
> lot.

Ok, so if you plan to add this new feature to kimdaba, please make sure it
will be configurable. For example in the configuration dialog under the
"options"-menu.

> It would be easier to work with if there was actually a way (say,
> shift-click or control-click or middle-click) to set a keyword while
> unsetting any others that category.

Another suggestion: add a "clear selection" button for each category.

- martin

--
    mailto:martin.hoeller at xss.co.at  | When the time comes, I want to
http://stud3.tuwien.ac.at/~e9926483  | die calmly in my sleep, like my