[KimDaBa] Debian 2.1 when ?

Robert L Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Wed May 11 00:32:58 BST 2005

   From: Jens <jens at pacificsun.ca>
   Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 07:32:57 -0700

   On Tuesday 10 May 2005 00:17, Steffen Hansen wrote:

   > I hacked up the support for CRW files. Kimdaba is not (and wont ever be
   > I guess) a RAW converter, so what it does with CRW files is to read the
   > embedded JPG image if there is one. With this JPG image, kimdaba can
   > make thumbnails and show you preview, but not much more.
   >
   > I guess the hack could be extended to support CR2. You would need to
   > figure out where the embedded JPG in such a file is located...
   >
   > regards
   > --
   > Steffen Hansen

   I do not expect Kimdaba to be a RAW converter. We now have Bibble
   under Linux and it is an excellent converter. I file my pictures as
   RAW .... what I would like to see (and what I imagine the CRW
   support to be) is that Kimdaba extracts the jpg and uses it for all
   it's operations. When I choose file/invoke external program it
   should send the RAW file to the chosen program for further
   processing. I am not running 2.1 yet so I don't know if this is the
   way it is set up.

That's exactly what it does.  I have distinctly mixed feelings about
this whole thing.  Most external programs don't know how to deal with
RAW files, though.

   CR2 files are somewhat different in that a single file contains
   both the RAW as well as the jpg files. CRW files always had a
   secondary file (THM) with them for the jpg info. My (limited)
   understanding is that the actual CRW file also had the jpg info
   encoded in it somehow.

CRW files also include an embedded JPG file.  Do CR2 files not have a
.thm associated with them also?

   I could contact the folks at Bibble Labs to see if I could get some
   more info on the file structure ......

No need -- just look at Dave Coffin's site
(http://cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw).  He has a nice little program
called "parse" that can extract the embedded jpeg.

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf at uunet.uu.net

--Eric Crampton