[KimDaBa] Debian 2.1 when ?

Steffen Hansen steffen at klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
Wed May 11 11:36:44 BST 2005

On Wednesday 11 May 2005 01:32, Robert L Krawitz wrote:

>    I do not expect Kimdaba to be a RAW converter. We now have Bibble
>    under Linux and it is an excellent converter. I file my pictures
> as RAW .... what I would like to see (and what I imagine the CRW
> support to be) is that Kimdaba extracts the jpg and uses it for all
> it's operations. When I choose file/invoke external program it should
> send the RAW file to the chosen program for further processing. I am
> not running 2.1 yet so I don't know if this is the way it is set up.

The reason why I hacked the .CRW support in was to experiment with how
to integrate kimdaba with my workflow. I have not really figured the
best way to do it yet, so if you have some ideas I'm all ears.

> That's exactly what it does.  I have distinctly mixed feelings about
> this whole thing.  Most external programs don't know how to deal with
> RAW files, though.
>
>    CR2 files are somewhat different in that a single file contains
>    both the RAW as well as the jpg files. CRW files always had a
>    secondary file (THM) with them for the jpg info. My (limited)
>    understanding is that the actual CRW file also had the jpg info
>    encoded in it somehow.
>
> CRW files also include an embedded JPG file.  Do CR2 files not have a
> .thm associated with them also?

I don't know if the .CR2 files come with a .THM file too, but for .CRW I
just throw the .THM away -- it's only a thumbnail anyway.

> No need -- just look at Dave Coffin's site
> (http://cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw).  He has a nice little program
> called "parse" that can extract the embedded jpeg.

I nicked the code for extracting the embedded JPG from
http://neuemuenze.heim1.tu-clausthal.de/~sven/crwinfo/

But before we continue with anything, there should be some agreement
about how to add support for various RAW formats to kimdaba. The code
for .CRW is really just a hack I put into the JPG loader, and I don't
want that code to grow into some monster (and neither does Jesper I
assume :-)

regards
--
Steffen Hansen          |       Klarälvdalens Datakonsult AB
Senior Software Engineer|       http://www.klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se