[KimDaBa] Next release one week, then what?!

Martin Höller martin at xss.co.at
Tue May 10 09:29:10 BST 2005

On 10 May 2005, Eivind wrote:

> On Sunday 08 May 2005 14:13, Jesper K. Pedersen wrote:
> > On Monday 25 April 2005 07:57, Eivind wrote:
> >| 2) Time
> >| -------
> >| Be more flexible in the use of time-information. Make it possible for
> >| me to search for images that are taken between 18 and 24 in the
> >| evening. Or make it possible to search for images taken in the
> >| weekend. Yes, I realize this is more tricky than simply restricting to
> >| a range as is possible now.
> >
> > Would that be something that is really usefull?
>
> To me, yes.

To me too.

> But I may be having weird usage-patterns. I find myself
> searching for that image from that party. I know that the party was some
> friday evening. Kimdaba knows the date and time of all my images, but
> still, currently it's impossible to ask Kimdaba to actually show images
> taken friday evenings.
>
> Kimdaba knows the day and time. I know which day and time I'm interested
> in, yet I cannot communicate this to Kimdaba.
>
> Or I know that I took a picture of a nice sunset at Cyprus. I also know
> that when I was at Cyprus, sunset was like at 1830. Still, I can't ask
> Kimdaba to show me images from Cyprus, taken between 18 and 1900.
>
> O I'm searching for an image from some Christmas, only I don't remember
> precisely which. So I'd like Kimdaba to show me all images taken on 24th
> of december, any year. Also currently impossible.
>
> How useful it would be to others I can't say, for me it'd be quite
> practical.

I think the examples you gave are pretty realistic. People remember things
like this and not like "I took this picture on 01/02/2003". Of course it'd
be some work to convert the "human date interpretation" to a useful form
for kimdaba but i bet it's worth it!

> > I installed a new Suse just yesterday, and I found kimdaba in the
> > installer, it was not installed by default. How would I know that
> > kimdaba was this cool application to use, thats why we need a more
> > descriptive name, perhaps even chaning to KImageDatabase would solve
> > things, I dont know.
>
> Yes. But how would you know, from the name alone, that Gimp, Firefox,
> Konqueror, Emacs, or for that matter KDE was a good thing to have ?

Exactly! Only few applications have a name that represents a kind of
description. If the application is good people will get to know it sooner
or later. Or why did you start using Linux? Not because you associated
"Linux" with "operating-system", or did you ;-)

- martin

--
    mailto:martin.hoeller at xss.co.at  |    Taunt not the sysadmin,
http://stud3.tuwien.ac.at/~e9926483  |   for he can become you and