[KimDaBa] Next release one week, then what?!

Jesper K. Pedersen blackie at blackie.dk
Sun May 8 13:26:26 BST 2005

| 0) Up to date debian packages in the sid official repository, with
| kipi-plugin support.
Thats really out of my control, fell free to push, however, could get that
done.

| 2) Being able to quickly display a color histogram of an image (the one
| in digikam is great)
KimDaBa is really not an image editor.

| 3) Speed : with more than 8000 images, kimdaba is not as quick as I
| would like it to be. One direction for this would be (as already said
| by someone else) to separate the storage of data from the rest, enabling
| to use a database or something else than a single xml file.
Do you see speed problems at any other times than start up?

| Another quick and simple thing would be to be able to load separate
| databases. I therefore have two or three batches of photos which have
| absolutely nothing in common and it would therefore be convenient to be
| able to split them completely.
I dont see why you would not have them in one database. And if they have
absolutely nothing to do with each other, why would you want to access them
at the same time. It is possible to load a new database from the command line
using kimdaba -c <path-to-index.xml-file>
Adding the possibility to load a new database to the menu would of course be a
good idea.

| 4) Complete Gallery synchronisation. Being able to synchronise kimdaba
| and gallery in both ways would be great : adding new comments to kimdaba
| and upload them to gallery, adding new comments to online Gallery and
| updates them to kimdaba would be very cool !
Cool yes, but just the though of parsing HTML doesn't exactly thrill me.

| 5) DCOP support, for more script plugins facilities (as amarok does).
Could you give me some ideas what you might want here.

| 6) Predefined filtering, or "dynamic selection" : let the user define
| a selection and display it. This gives the advantage of not having to
| manually having to set a given keyword to the new images corresponding
| to this selection.
Added to my TODO list for consideration

| 7) some few things already evoked and perhaps in the CVS version :
| * hitting "back" goes to the same place in the list we were before (no
| need to rescroll down)
that sounds so much more easy than it is :-/

| * a filter textbox on top of list panels (like in amarok, very
| convenient for person names)
In 2.1

| * display the current "location" in the status bar, something like
| Paris > StreetArt > Invaders
| and the ability to click on them to remove them from the filter
| (enlarging the selection).
Interesting, I'll add that to the TOOD

thousands of images?

http://ktown.kde.org/kimdaba might be the answer.