[KimDaBa] UI suggestion - Better Breadcrumbs

Jesper K. Pedersen blackie at blackie.dk
Sat Mar 26 11:13:05 GMT 2005

| KimDaBa displays "breadcrumbs" in the status bar to show "where you
| are".  I like the intent behind this, but I think the current
| implementation could be better.
|
| First, it seems as though the breadcrumbs are in reverse order.  I would
| expect that new breadcrumbs get added to the right of previous
| breadcrumbs, but instead they get added to the left.
Actually there is no order for the list. KimDaBa doesn't store the path
internally, but only the result (namely that we are in the scope for Jesper,
Las Vegas, ... )
So I'm afraid there is not much I can do about this without a lot of work.

| Second, I think the breadcrumbs are not prominent enough.  The status
| bar is at the bottom of the screen, where users rarely look.  I often
| have the sensation of feeling a little "lost" in KimDaBa, and I have to
| remind myself to look down at the status bar (and then get confused by
| the reverse order).
really? I never had that feeling. Does anybody else have an issue with this?

| I've thought of some alternatives to the current implementation.
|
| 1. Put the breadcrumbs in a location bar similar to that in Konqueror.
|  This could live in its own toolbar, or be added to the current
| toolbar.  It would show the same thing that now appears in the status
| bar, for eg,
|
| George/White House/drunk
|
| The user could navigate KimDaBa by directly editing the text in the
| location bar, for example, selecting "White House" in the above example,
| changing it to "Camp David", and hitting "Enter".
I don't think that editing the location like would be that useful, at least
not compared to the work it would require.

| 2. Use clickable breadcrumbs as commonly used on the web, where each
| level in the hierarchy is a clickable link, allowing the user to
| easily go back multiple levels with one click.  On the web they often
| appear something like this:
|
| Shopping >> Men's Clothing >> Outdoor gear
Good idea, I'll add that to the TODO list.