[KimDaBa] Really rotate the pictures ?

Jesper K. Pedersen blackie at blackie.dk
Tue Mar 22 13:21:04 GMT 2005

Well this trick still apply:
rotate all your images 90 degree with the rotate plugin, and then rotate them
90 degrees back again.
The first one, will rotate them so they fit what you see on screen, thus make
all images 0 degrees rotated from kimdaba's view.

Yes I know it is a hack, but I'd really hate to spent loads of time writting
code for checking if the rotate tool is installed etc.

Anyway, I'll give it another though.

On Tuesday 22 March 2005 12:53, jedd wrote:
| On Tue March 22 2005 10:33 pm, Jesper K. Pedersen wrote:
|  ] Well not touching files is only half the problem, the other part is that
| I ] don't really want to start having kimdaba depend on a 3rd party tool
| for ] doing the actual rotation, and making such a connection optional is
| pretty ] expensive maintainance wise.
|
|  Sure.  But what's the solution for someone who has been running
|  KimDaBa over their photo collection for a while now, and has
|  about 10000 images, of which 400 are rotated in one direction?
|
|  (My stats, btw.  Plus I've got 21 that are rotated 270, and 1 x 180.)
|
|  It's a pain with other apps (for instance I prefer gqview's interface
|  for doing slideshows where I've got a bunch of files in a given
|  sub-directory) that don't, obviously, respect the index.xml file.
|
|  Identifying them is tricky enough for your average user.  Coping
|  with turning them around is trickier still - first identifying which
|  ones to spin, through a third party app, and then modifying their
|  KimDaBa database later, manually, by turning all those images
|  back to the 'right' way .. complicated, I imagine, by the fact that
|  their checksums will have changed.
|
|  Looking through the index.xml, it's not so hard to identify
|  angle=X entries, and with awk it wouldn't be all that hard to
|  use a bash script to do this in one fell swoop .. modifying the
|  angle= entry, say.  But changing the md5sum thing is something
|  I, for one, don't know how to do offhand.
|
|  At the moment the things in the 'too hard' basket.  One day I'll
|  probably be motivated to spend a few hours fixing this aspect of
|  my image collection, but it's not something I'm looking forward to.
|
|  Jedd.

thousands of images?

http://ktown.kde.org/kimdaba might be the answer.