[KimDaBa] Really rotate the pictures ?

jedd jedd at progsoc.org
Tue Mar 22 11:53:48 GMT 2005

On Tue March 22 2005 10:33 pm, Jesper K. Pedersen wrote:
 ] Well not touching files is only half the problem, the other part is that I
 ] don't really want to start having kimdaba depend on a 3rd party tool for
 ] doing the actual rotation, and making such a connection optional is pretty
 ] expensive maintainance wise.

 Sure.  But what's the solution for someone who has been running
 KimDaBa over their photo collection for a while now, and has
 about 10000 images, of which 400 are rotated in one direction?

 (My stats, btw.  Plus I've got 21 that are rotated 270, and 1 x 180.)

 It's a pain with other apps (for instance I prefer gqview's interface
 for doing slideshows where I've got a bunch of files in a given
 sub-directory) that don't, obviously, respect the index.xml file.

 Identifying them is tricky enough for your average user.  Coping
 with turning them around is trickier still - first identifying which
 ones to spin, through a third party app, and then modifying their
 KimDaBa database later, manually, by turning all those images
 back to the 'right' way .. complicated, I imagine, by the fact that
 their checksums will have changed.

 Looking through the index.xml, it's not so hard to identify
 angle=X entries, and with awk it wouldn't be all that hard to
 use a bash script to do this in one fell swoop .. modifying the
 angle= entry, say.  But changing the md5sum thing is something
 I, for one, don't know how to do offhand.

 At the moment the things in the 'too hard' basket.  One day I'll
 probably be motivated to spend a few hours fixing this aspect of
 my image collection, but it's not something I'm looking forward to.

 Jedd.