[KimDaBa] Ideas for Kimdaba features

Jesper K. Pedersen blackie at blackie.dk
Wed Jan 12 06:54:44 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 12 January 2005 03:20, Alain.Picard at memetrics.com wrote:
| Dear Kimdaba users/developers,
|
| After using Kimdaba for a while, I came up with this
| list of things which I feel are missing.
|
| * removing multiple keywords simultaneously.
|
|   When selecting multiple images, and hitting C-2 to bring
|   up the "apply to all" properties editor, all keywords which
|   are present in all selected images should appear as selected,
|   and deselecting and applying should remove those deselected
|   keywords from all selected images.
|
|   Doing a set-intersection for each category should quickly
|   yield the list of suitable keywords to hightlight.
This has been on my todo list forever, but never found motivation to fix it.
You can see my TODO list on
http://webcvs.kde.org/kdeextragear-2/kimdaba/TODO?rev=HEAD&view=markup

| * easier editing (and deleting) of keywords within a category.
|
|   In each category, right click on a keyword should bring up
|   a menu to rename and delete the selected keyword.
|
|   Changes should be propagated throughtout the DB; i.e. changing
|   the name of a keyword should change all the referents, etc.
That is already working exactly as you describe.

| * Allow the 1-click rotation on the thumbnail panel.  Selecting
|   1 or more thumbnails and clicking 9 or 7 should apply the 90
|   and 270 degree rotations to all selected images.
Unfortunately, this would be quite some work for me to implement. I always
rotate my images either when setting properties, or when watching them.

| * A "File ... open directory" option, to easily switch between
|   various photo collections, rather than re-invoking with the -c switch
|   might be nice.
It is not 7:26 in the morning, I'm dead tired, and once my girl friend leaves
for work, I will likely give in and go back to bed. These morning makes
me ..uhem..., lets say the least unfriendly to new ideas - I try very hard
not to answer emails in the morning, still I can't help it ,-)

So here I am, thinking man this guy want it all, nothing I do to KimDaBa would
ever make him happy, but then I remember my favorite quote. It is from
Margerit Thather (Spell her name correct yourself - it was the prime minister
of UK in the 80th). She said: "I love when people start picking on my person
during a political debate, that means that I won on the political level")

You've got no idea where I'm going with all this do you? Well as I said it is
early in the morning.

Well the point I'm making is that this is really a tiny issue isn't it,
seriously, how many different database do you have? It can't be that serious
an issue starting kimdaba over again with -c, can it? ;-)

| * The date bar currently doesn't seem very useful (I realize this is
|   in progress).  In the "home" screen, dragging across a date range
|   should have the effect of selecting that date range, and refine the
|   number of available hits immediately.
OK, it is 7:32 now, and I'm still grumpy, but could we please get some
enthusiasm here? The datebar is more than 2 man weeks of work now, likely the
largest thing I added to kimdaba since the possibilities to browse images.
That is two weeks I could have worked overtime instead, and got enough money
to a new camera, so I would have at least as cool a camera as the rest of
you. You are not writting to Microsoft Support complaining about a broken
upgrade to a product you've paid a fortune for, please remember that. You
"pay" me my showing a bit of gratitude and enthusiasm ;-)

Let me teach you:
"The datebar is really cool, I can see which date my current images are from,
and I can even use it for browsing. There is just one thing I can think of
that would make it ever cooler: How about making it possible to select image
ranges with the mouse by dragging out a selection"

I would then answer:
Cool idea, it was actually already suggested on the mailing list, and I've
already implement that - it is in CVS now, and will be in the next snapshot.

| * Under X11, the location (i.e. X geometry) of the windows for user
|   defined categories is reset for each kimdaba invocation.  Not sure
|   if that's a kimdaba problem, or something fixable with my window
|   manager (sawfish).
Did you try choosing Options->Save window setup in the config dialog? Once
you've done that, you also need to save your setup using normal Ctrl+s, but
then you should be set.