[KimDaBa] Re: [Kimdaba-announce] New snapshot including the date bar available

Robert L Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Sun Jan 2 18:17:03 GMT 2005

   From: "Jesper K. Pedersen" <blackie at blackie.dk>
   Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2005 18:23:53 +0100

   On Sunday 02 January 2005 18:15, Robert L Krawitz wrote:
   |    From: "Jesper K. Pedersen" <blackie at blackie.dk>
   |    Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2005 17:40:05 +0100

   |    | 5) It would also be nice to have a faster way to scroll the bar.
   |
   |    Faster in what way? I wonder if you found all the ways you can scroll
   | it.
   |
   |    1) you can use the left/right arrows
   |    2) you can grab the focus rectangle and drag that one.
   |    3) you can grab the date part (the lower 50% of the datebar) and drag
   | that.
   |
   | I didn't find the last, which is the fastest way of doing it.  It's
   | not a standard user interface behavior (it doesn't look active, for
   | one).  The first two are very slow.

   well, kimdaba gotta have some features hidden for the real experts
   to be able to show off, doesn't it ;-)

   2) Shouldn't be slow, just drag your cursor long enough away from
   the datebar, and you will see it scroll fast.

   I don't know how to make (3) more intuiative, suggestions are
   welcome.

Put a scrollbar underneath it, then it will be obvious.

   |    | 9) At startup I get a message to search for images with incomplete
   |    | dates.  However, the default option for Display Images with Incomplete
   |    | Dates (search for images with valid date but invalid time) doesn't
   |    | actually select the right images to fix up.
   |
   |    sure? How can you tell?
   |
   | Because it selected zero images and didn't resolve the problem,
   | whereas the second option (displaying images with broken dates) did
   | find the images in question?

   well the month/day/year part of the image info need to be right for
   the first one to show (OK date, broken time), so if the date is
   broken too, it will not be included. This option is merely for old
   kimdaba users, with images before we read time out of the index
   file.

The problem is that the startup instructions don't tell you the right
thing to do here.

   |    |    So far KimDaBa have had no need for your images to be
   |    |    sorted, but the date bar works by far best if they are
   |    |    (Jumping to a given date will show all images from that
   |    |    date). KimDaBa thus have a new function to aid you in
   |    |    ensuring that all your images have valid dates (which
   |    |    might be something as simple as 1998-2001). Once you have
   |    |    given all your images a valid date, use the sorting
   |    |    function from the Images menu to sort your images.
   |    |
   |    |    Previous versions showed the thumb nails of your images
   |    |    in folder of 100 images per folder, but for the date bar
   |    |    to work, all images are now shown in one folder. The
   |    |    previous setup was not by design, but simply because I
   |    |    couldn't figure out how to avoid loading all thumb nails
   |    |    at once. Now, fortunately I found out, so showing 10.000
   |    |    thumb nails doesn't course your computer to load
   |    |    gigabytes of memory. Let me know if you have a very good
   |    |    reason for re-adding the folder view with each 100
   |    |    images.
   |    |
   |    | I don't know how much I like this change, although it may
   |    | simply be a matter of getting used to it.  It seems to work
   |    | well if I'm in a large but restricted view, but not so well
   |    | if I'm looking at all of my (6000+) images.  However, the
   |    | memory consumption is now impressively low (97 MB -- times
   |    | sure have changed -- is now "impressively low").
   |
   |    What exactly do you mean by not-so-well?
   |
   | Just that it takes a long time to scroll up and down.

   Well do you anticipate to do so often? Wouldn't you most often
   browse to some images, and look at these? A new feature I'm working
   on is zoom out (available in the image menu, but not well
   implemented yet, due to confusion bewtween current item and
   selection). Zoom out allows you to browse to a set of images, and
   then staying with your current image, zoom into the view of all
   images.

I do this fairly often.  Like I said, not that big of a deal.

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf at uunet.uu.net

--Eric Crampton