[KimDaBa] Re: [Kimdaba-announce] New snapshot including the date bar available

Jesper K. Pedersen blackie at blackie.dk
Sun Jan 2 17:23:53 GMT 2005

On Sunday 02 January 2005 18:15, Robert L Krawitz wrote:
|    From: "Jesper K. Pedersen" <blackie at blackie.dk>
|    Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2005 17:40:05 +0100
|
|    | 3) It would be nice to have an option to display 4-digit years (this
|    | is a personal peeve of mine).
|
|    well the problem is that the space is too little in the date bar to do
| this.
|
| Worked fine when I did it.  Again, I use tiny fonts with a huge screen
| area, so perhaps I'm a special case.
hmm, oh well.

|    | 5) It would also be nice to have a faster way to scroll the bar.
|
|    Faster in what way? I wonder if you found all the ways you can scroll
| it.
|
|    1) you can use the left/right arrows
|    2) you can grab the focus rectangle and drag that one.
|    3) you can grab the date part (the lower 50% of the datebar) and drag
| that.
|
| I didn't find the last, which is the fastest way of doing it.  It's
| not a standard user interface behavior (it doesn't look active, for
| one).  The first two are very slow.
well, kimdaba gotta have some features hidden for the real experts to be able
to show off, doesn't it ;-)

2) Shouldn't be slow, just drag your cursor long enough away from the datebar,
and you will see it scroll fast.

I don't know how to make (3) more intuiative, suggestions are welcome.

|    | 9) At startup I get a message to search for images with incomplete
|    | dates.  However, the default option for Display Images with Incomplete
|    | Dates (search for images with valid date but invalid time) doesn't
|    | actually select the right images to fix up.
|
|    sure? How can you tell?
|
| Because it selected zero images and didn't resolve the problem,
| whereas the second option (displaying images with broken dates) did
| find the images in question?
well the month/day/year part of the image info need to be right for the first
one to show (OK date, broken time), so if the date is broken too, it will not
be included. This option is merely for old kimdaba users, with images before
we read time out of the index file.

|    It seems to me that the EXIF loading code in previous versions of
|    KDE was kind of broken, so a lot of images have broken time stamps.
|
| That wasn't the problem.  The images were scanned TIFF files
| (obviously with no EXIF data).  Maybe 10 out of the 900 or so scanned
| TIFF files had this problem.  The dates were all zeroed out (year,
| month, and day were all zero, but the time was valid).
|
|    |    So far KimDaBa have had no need for your images to be sorted, but
|    |    the date bar works by far best if they are (Jumping to a given date
|    |    will show all images from that date). KimDaBa thus have a new
|    |    function to aid you in ensuring that all your images have valid
|    |    dates (which might be something as simple as 1998-2001). Once you
|    |    have given all your images a valid date, use the sorting function
|    |    from the Images menu to sort your images.
|    |
|    |    Previous versions showed the thumb nails of your images in folder
|    |    of 100 images per folder, but for the date bar to work, all images
|    |    are now shown in one folder. The previous setup was not by design,
|    |    but simply because I couldn't figure out how to avoid loading all
|    |    thumb nails at once. Now, fortunately I found out, so showing
|    |    10.000 thumb nails doesn't course your computer to load gigabytes
|    |    of memory. Let me know if you have a very good reason for re-adding
|    |    the folder view with each 100 images.
|    |
|    | I don't know how much I like this change, although it may simply be a
|    | matter of getting used to it.  It seems to work well if I'm in a large
|    | but restricted view, but not so well if I'm looking at all of my
|    | (6000+) images.  However, the memory consumption is now impressively
|    | low (97 MB -- times sure have changed -- is now "impressively low").
|
|    What exactly do you mean by not-so-well?
|
| Just that it takes a long time to scroll up and down.
Well do you anticipate to do so often? Wouldn't you most often browse to some
images, and look at these? A new feature I'm working on is zoom out
(available in the image menu, but not well implemented yet, due to confusion
bewtween current item and selection). Zoom out allows you to browse to a set
of images, and then staying with your current image, zoom into the view of
all images.

|    I can't see another way to enable the datebar to move around, than
|    to show all images in one view - at least not another simple way.
|
| It's not that bad of a problem, and the date bar is a big advantage.
| Probably on balance the new behavior is better.  It's certainly more
| convenient if I want to perform an operation on a lot of images at
| once.
Yeah.

thousands of images?

http://ktown.kde.org/kimdaba might be the answer.