[KimDaBa] KimDaBa snapshot available

Jesper K. Pedersen blackie at blackie.dk
Fri Dec 30 08:26:55 GMT 2005

On Friday 30 December 2005 01:25, jedd wrote:
| On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 05:36 am, Jesper K. Pedersen wrote:
|  ] Thumbnails are now stored in the ~/.thumbnails directory, so if you want
| all ] of them to be deleted, simply rm -rf ~/.thumbnails
|
|  Howdi,
|
|  I haven't had a look at the new snapshot, so in the context of
|  someone who's commenting based on other people's comments ...
|
|  When the ~/.thumbnails directory is created, are the old ThumbNails
|  sub-dirs (I've got a heck of a lot of these scattered under ~/private/
|  pictures/ -- about 355 of them in fact) removed?  Or do I have to
|  remove them manually (or ignore their presence)?
There is a menu entry "Maintanence -> remove all KimDaBa 2.1 thumbnails" that
allows you to clean those up.

|  I echo Robert's (?) question -- do other apps conflict with the
|  ~/.thumbnails subdir?  I frequently use gqview to sort through
|  photos (culling them, etc) before cranking up KimDaBa and registering
|  the new pics in the database.
conflict in what way? The ~/.thumbnail is a standard for sharing thumbails
that kimdaba now follows. This means that once you have created thumbnails
from kimdaba, you may shared them with say gimp.

|  With EXIF information -- this is pretty exciting, and I'm hoping
|  that people with better knowledge about the IPTC (?) stuff can
|  give you some good insight.  I'm not fussed too much about the
|  fields used (so long as they're human readable, anything should
|  be able to access them and/or modify them to suit another app's
|  preferences).   My only question / concern is about how it'll handle
|  formats that don't have EXIF.  A while ago I was scanning all my
|  old APS photos in to PNG - because I didn't want the lossiness of
|  JPG, and I did want the openness and decent compression of PNG,
|  it was just a shame that it wasn't until I'd done about 35 rolls of
|  old prints that I found out PNG doesn't support EXIF.  Flippin' heck.
There is really no much I can do there are there? I will still keep the info
in the database if that is your concern, so things will work just as well as
it does today.