[KimDaBa] KimDaBa snapshot available

jedd jedd at progsoc.org
Fri Dec 30 00:25:18 GMT 2005

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 05:36 am, Jesper K. Pedersen wrote:
 ] Thumbnails are now stored in the ~/.thumbnails directory, so if you want all
 ] of them to be deleted, simply rm -rf ~/.thumbnails

 Howdi,

 I haven't had a look at the new snapshot, so in the context of
 someone who's commenting based on other people's comments ...

 When the ~/.thumbnails directory is created, are the old ThumbNails
 sub-dirs (I've got a heck of a lot of these scattered under ~/private/
 pictures/ -- about 355 of them in fact) removed?  Or do I have to
 remove them manually (or ignore their presence)?

 I echo Robert's (?) question -- do other apps conflict with the
 ~/.thumbnails subdir?  I frequently use gqview to sort through
 photos (culling them, etc) before cranking up KimDaBa and registering
 the new pics in the database.

 With EXIF information -- this is pretty exciting, and I'm hoping
 that people with better knowledge about the IPTC (?) stuff can
 give you some good insight.  I'm not fussed too much about the
 fields used (so long as they're human readable, anything should
 be able to access them and/or modify them to suit another app's
 preferences).   My only question / concern is about how it'll handle
 formats that don't have EXIF.  A while ago I was scanning all my
 old APS photos in to PNG - because I didn't want the lossiness of
 JPG, and I did want the openness and decent compression of PNG,
 it was just a shame that it wasn't until I'd done about 35 rolls of
 old prints that I found out PNG doesn't support EXIF.  Flippin' heck.

 Jedd.