[KimDaBa] KimDaBa snapshot available

Robert L Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Thu Dec 29 18:44:21 GMT 2005

   From: "Jesper K. Pedersen" <blackie at blackie.dk>
   Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 19:36:41 +0100
   Cc: kimdaba at kdab.net

   |    | 1) It doesn't import Kimdaba 2.1 settings (e. g. thumbnail size,
   |    |    viewer size, etc.)
   |
   |    Thats a feature not a bug *ahem* These settings has move to the KDE
   |    setting system, so the backend database is not cluttered with this
   |    information. I didn't want to bother converting these, as it rather
   |    simple for you the user to change these yourself.
   |
   | It's a real pain for users to have to manually convert settings.  The
   | fact that they're now in the KDE setting system is irrelevant -- this
   | is something kimdaba should be able to do itself.

   I completely agree. But unfortunately I have a limited amount of
   time, so I decided I'd rather let the user spent 2 minutes, than I
   spent 2 days. (Feel free to take this task ;-)

Understood; I think it should be implemented before the next release.

   |    | 2) There are a number of things in the viewer (e. g. if I click on an
   |    |    image) that are extremely slow (take on the order of 30 seconds on
   |    |    a 1.8 GHz processor with 1.5 GB RAM).  These appear to be related.
   |    |    If I right click on the image and click Show Folder, or click on
   |    |    the beach umbrella, the UI pretty much freezes for quite a while.
   |    |    I haven't tried to investigate this yet.
   |    |
   |    |    BTW, what does that beach umbrella icon do, anyway?
   |
   |    Jump to context. That is it opens the browser with the current
   |    image centered.  I agree that takes a long time, better do some
   |    profiling on that some time.  Feel free to help if you want to :-)
   |
   | That wouldn't apply to right clicking on the image, would it?

   Right clicking on the image where? I dont see any delay neither in
   the thumbnail viewer or in the image viewer.

I'm sorry; right click on the image and then select show the folder.

   |    | 3) The first time I tried to use the EXIF Info, the program crashed on
   |    |    me.  Unfortunately, I don't have a stack trace, but I did see a
   |    |    message on my terminal about sqlite failing to create an "exif"
   |    |    table because it already exists.  The next time it worked.
   |
   |    That error is shown when the table is created the first time, I
   |    dont know why, and it seems to be harmless.
   |
   | Whatever the case may be, the seg fault wasn't harmless.

   Are we in grumpy mode today? ;-)

   All I'm saying is that it likely is not the above error message
   that crashed it.

OK, that's fair.

   | Another thing: there isn't any "build all thumbnails" or "remove
   | thumbnails" command.  Those were extremely useful.

   Thumbnails are now stored in the ~/.thumbnails directory, so if you
   want all of them to be deleted, simply rm -rf ~/.thumbnails

What about other image applications that store thumbnails there?

   Creating them is far from as slow as it was previously, which is
   why I removed that option.

It's still fairly slow for very large images (some of my images are
100 MB TIFF files).  It would be handy to have an option to create the
thumbnails and then go off and do something else for an hour.