[KimDaBa] Import from camera

Vincent Picavet Vincent.Picavet at inria.fr
Tue Oct 26 09:35:11 BST 2004

Hi,

> | Besides, I was wondering if you thought about developing a feature
> to| send directly the images to an online printing service ( such as
> | photoways or pixdiscount), and try to get a partnership with them ?
> It| seems to me that Gallery has done such a thing. It could be worth
> it for| developers and users ( sending pictures to these services is
> often a| boring task under linux because of the lack of support and
> dedicated| software).
> Do you have some URL's on these services?

I have got plenty of them, but I don't know which are available where. I
think most of them are only aimed for Europe. I tried to classify them
according to their availability's area but this is not thoroughly
verified.

France only :
http://www.wistiti.fr/
http://www.photoservice.com/ (italia too)
http://www.digibao.com/
http://www.photoreflex.com/
http://labo.bellapix.com/
http://www.bonusprint.fr/
http://www.photostation.fr/
http://www.photoweb.fr/

Europe :
http://www.colormailer.com
http://www.fujifilmnet.com
http://www.extrafilm.fr/index.asp
http://www.photoways.com/
http://www.pixdiscount.com/
http://www.mypixmania.com/

America :
http://www.shutterfly.com/
http://www.photoaccess.com/

> I once approached a service provider and tried to talk them into
> letting kimdaba send to them though a socket or something (something
> different that kimdaba interacting with the website), but I never got
> an answer, but maybe I should look into it again.

For the above online printing services, there is most of the time a tool
that lets the user select a bunch of images on his computer and send
them in batch. All of the proposed softs are closed-source MSwindows
only :-( . But this means that there is another way of sending images to
these services than the website. Kimdaba could implement this other way.

I have seen that gallery ha a link to print an image directly with just
one link, as you can see on this randomly google-found image :
http://www.japan-101.com/gallery/artifacts/red_fuji
But I don't know how it works.

I personally tried pixdiscount to print 80 pictures. The quality/price
ratio is pretty good, although the quality of the images is not always
perfect (strange color balance sometimes and a few saturated area on
some pictures).
I used the web interface to transfer the images (and it was everything
but convenient).

I think that's all :)
CU
Vincent

--
Vincent Picavet,		Tel : +33 (0) 1 39 63 52 14
INRIA Rocquencourt,		E-mail : vincent.picavet at inria.fr
Projet CLIME			http://www-rocq.inria.fr/clime