[KimDaBa] Ideas...

Jean-Michel FAYARD jmfayard at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 19:39:23 GMT 2004

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 19:18:20 +0000, William Holland
<will at willholland.co.uk> wrote:
> I've been thinking lately that what I could really do with, and kimdaba is
> probably the best place to start, is more of a dual level photo archive
> system.

> [...]

> Does this seem useful?  Is it worth/possible to write a plugin to do this? is
> it better handled natively within kimdaba?

Hello, I will let others decide if this is useful for many users (I
have no idea), but it is certainly for you, and I just thought about a
possible solution. (I´ve not tested it, but I think it can work)

- Backup your index.xml file
- mkdir /pictures/{original,monitor}_size
- original pictures go in /pictures/original_size
- write a shell + imagemagick script to automatically convert new
pictures /pictures/original_size/foo/bar.jpg in the lower resolution
of your choice in /pictures/monitor_size/foo/bar.jpg
- ln /pictures/original_size/index.xml /pictures/monitor_size/index.xml
- Use /pictures/monitor_size as your picture collection
When you need the original pictures, start kimdaba as
     $ kimdaba -c /pictures/original_size/index.xml

With the help of the "ln" trick and the fact that pictures filename
are stored as relative to the base folder in the database, I think it
will work (except for the pictures you moved after the first time you
started Kimdaba)

Comments and script used are welcomed (in the FAQ for example) if that
works and that is useful.