[KimDaBa] Ideas...

William Holland will at willholland.co.uk
Tue Nov 16 20:10:30 GMT 2004

On Tuesday 16 November 2004 19:39, Jean-Michel FAYARD wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 19:18:20 +0000, William Holland
>
> <will at willholland.co.uk> wrote:
> > I've been thinking lately that what I could really do with, and kimdaba
> > is probably the best place to start, is more of a dual level photo
> > archive system.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > Does this seem useful?  Is it worth/possible to write a plugin to do
> > this? is it better handled natively within kimdaba?
>
> Hello, I will let others decide if this is useful for many users (I
> have no idea), but it is certainly for you, and I just thought about a
> possible solution. (I´ve not tested it, but I think it can work)
>
> - Backup your index.xml file
> - mkdir /pictures/{original,monitor}_size
> - original pictures go in /pictures/original_size
> - write a shell + imagemagick script to automatically convert new
> pictures /pictures/original_size/foo/bar.jpg in the lower resolution
> of your choice in /pictures/monitor_size/foo/bar.jpg
> - ln /pictures/original_size/index.xml /pictures/monitor_size/index.xml
> - Use /pictures/monitor_size as your picture collection
> When you need the original pictures, start kimdaba as
>      $ kimdaba -c /pictures/original_size/index.xml
>
> With the help of the "ln" trick and the fact that pictures filename
> are stored as relative to the base folder in the database, I think it
> will work (except for the pictures you moved after the first time you
> started Kimdaba)
>
> Comments and script used are welcomed (in the FAQ for example) if that
> works and that is useful.
That should work well, except for kimdaba storing checksums of images - have
to make sure that the checksums are from either the 'originals' or the
'monitor' images, not a mish-mash of them both, as I suspect something will
get confused! - is there a flag to prevent kimdaba writing to the index file?

I will try that out soon

Will