[KimDaBa] Ideas...

William Holland will at willholland.co.uk
Tue Nov 16 19:18:20 GMT 2004

I've been thinking lately that what I could really do with, and kimdaba is
probably the best place to start, is more of a dual level photo archive
system.

What I mean by this, is that I have photographs that I regularly view, but
hardly ever print out.  In order to do this, I would find it better to have a
'monitor' resolution image, which is attached in some way to the original.
Personally I do not have much requirement for a 2500x2000 image on a
1600x1200 monitor, and my CPU would probably be much quicker at rendering it.

I would also find it much easier to keep the 'monitor' image on the hard
drive, and the original somewhere else (eg CD).  I imagine that people who
regularly take RAW images would have a  similar problem with kimdaba - a
large raw image that is not easy to view.

So to do this, I suppose that there would be a need for a plugin to create the
'monitor' resolution image, and place it into the kimdaba archive, whilst
hiding the original in a vault somewhere, or alternatively kimdaba could keep
track of both the images, but only under one record (the nicer method).

When Printing images/etc kimdaba could use the original, and when archiving,
the original could be archived, keeping the 'monitor' image for viewing.

It would also make a good method to handling other file formats, as the
original could be viewed using a different viewer, depending on the format (I
don't imagine that raw images render natively to kimdaba)

Does this seem useful?  Is it worth/possible to write a plugin to do this? is
it better handled natively within kimdaba?

Will