[KimDaBa] Want to try a directory browser in Kimdaba ?

Jesper K. Pedersen blackie at blackie.dk
Mon Jul 12 20:05:41 BST 2004

On Monday 12 July 2004 20:10, Jean-Michel FAYARD wrote:
| On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 19:32:50 +0200, Jesper K. Pedersen
|
| <blackie at blackie.dk> wrote:
| > On Monday 12 July 2004 15:54, Jean-Michel FAYARD wrote:
| > | So, even if the folder hierarchy is too rigid, that is still an
| > | interesting way to filter your pictures.
| > |
| > | My basic idea is to simply add a << Property >> named << Folder >>,
| > | just like Persons, Locations and Keywords, but which will be set
| > | automatically for you[1].
| > |
| > | [...]
| > |
| > | Comment and flames welcome !
| >
| > To be honest, I'm not too happy about it, simply because with deep
| > structures you will see lots of items in the listbox.
|
| Okay, I wanted to know if this was against KimDaBa's way of doing this.
|
| But I'm not sure about the argument (too many items in the listbox).
| There will always be an order of magnitude more Persons or Locations
| in the database  than folders. But we manage to handle them thanks
| Kimdabas features that an embedded filemanager will never have :
|
| - you see only folders relevant in your view. Say you filter first by
| << Keywords = Funny >> or << Date == 2004 >>. The list is now all
| except messy.
| - you can use the Search Dialog. Enter the first 2 or 3 characters and
| you are done.
| - you can sort the folders either alphabetically or by the number of
| images they have.
|

| Well perhaps I'm biaised, because most of folder hierarchy to store
| pictures I've seen so far are rather flat, and not deep. (it's a
| digikam's heritage for a large part)
Now I'm really undecided :-)

Anyway, I want to put out a 2.0 before much else is done (including looking at
patches with new features)

I'm soon (oct 1th) moving, and have some large deadlines at my job, so dont
expect much changes on KimDaBa core within the next few month. Any time I
have will be spent on bugfixes, documentation, plus finishing up KIPI.

After 2.0 is out, I'll be all in for lots of additions, so please bear with me
till then.