[KimDaBa] Want to try a directory browser in Kimdaba ?

Jean-Michel FAYARD jmfayard at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 19:10:40 BST 2004

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 19:32:50 +0200, Jesper K. Pedersen
<blackie at blackie.dk> wrote:
> On Monday 12 July 2004 15:54, Jean-Michel FAYARD wrote:
> |
> | So, even if the folder hierarchy is too rigid, that is still an
> | interesting way to filter your pictures.
> |
> | My basic idea is to simply add a << Property >> named << Folder >>,
> | just like Persons, Locations and Keywords, but which will be set
> | automatically for you[1].
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | Comment and flames welcome !
>
> To be honest, I'm not too happy about it, simply because with deep structures
> you will see lots of items in the listbox.

Okay, I wanted to know if this was against KimDaBa's way of doing this.

But I'm not sure about the argument (too many items in the listbox).
There will always be an order of magnitude more Persons or Locations
in the database  than folders. But we manage to handle them thanks
Kimdabas features that an embedded filemanager will never have :

- you see only folders relevant in your view. Say you filter first by
<< Keywords = Funny >> or << Date == 2004 >>. The list is now all
except messy.
- you can use the Search Dialog. Enter the first 2 or 3 characters and
you are done.
- you can sort the folders either alphabetically or by the number of
images they have.

Well perhaps I'm biaised, because most of folder hierarchy to store
pictures I've seen so far are rather flat, and not deep. (it's a
digikam's heritage for a large part)