[KimDaBa] Want to try a directory browser in Kimdaba ?

Jean-Michel FAYARD jmfayard at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 20:03:37 BST 2004

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 21:05:41 +0200, Jesper K. Pedersen
<blackie at blackie.dk> wrote:
> Now I'm really undecided :-)
>
> Anyway, I want to put out a 2.0 before much else is done (including looking at
> patches with new features)
>
> I'm soon (oct 1th) moving, and have some large deadlines at my job, so dont
> expect much changes on KimDaBa core within the next few month. Any time I
> have will be spent on bugfixes, documentation, plus finishing up KIPI.
>
> After 2.0 is out, I'll be all in for lots of additions, so please bear with me
> till then.

Well in fact, it´s too late, I have already done it.
I guess it´s better to post it now than to loose my patch.

Screenshot1 shows it in action in the browser, the thumbnails view and
the viewer.
Screenshot2 shows is done with a fresh new database and shows that the
search and configure dialog is by default just like before (don´t
bother old users who update with a new behavior). The directory field
is off by default in the viewer too.
I´ve tested that it works when creating a new database, when updating
an old one, when some images are not on the disk, when you
move/rename/create new directories and hit << Rescan for images >>
To prevent the << too many items in the listbox >> thing, I don´t add
each folder as a group of his subfolders like I did in the demo. This
make things clearer, but you can´t select a folder and his subfolders
recursively.

The little things that bothers me are that :
* when you in the browser you select a directory, and then select it again, you
see a new << No other Folder >>. Don´t know why
* you cannot record that you´ve showed the folder field in the viewer.
(see the FIXME comment)

It could be useful to add that in the tips file something like :

<tip category="KimDaBa">
delete (use Konqueror for that !). They work instead just like and
with other image-properties like Persons, Locations, Keywords, except
that KimDaBa set them for you. In the search dialog, you can use them
by selecting <tt>"Options" -> Show/Hide Window > Show folder</tt>
</tip>