[KimDaBa] KimDaBa 1.1 is released

Reimar Imhof Reimar.Imhof at netCologne.de
Mon Feb 16 21:56:31 GMT 2004

Am Montag, 16. Februar 2004 08:53 schrieb Jesper K. Pedersen:

> | The improvement idea:
> | When I'm in the properties or search dialog I've got a lot of entries in
> | some categories. I'd like the idea to have the entries sorted (for
> | example, if you have 10 or more persons in the list, it's no fun
> | selecting persons. If the lists were sorted, selection will be easy).
>
> They are indeed sorted, by most recent used.
> The normal usage is to type the first few letters of a name until you've
> found the person.

Hello Jesper,

today I tried to select multiple entries from one of the list boxes by typing
some letters. That way I wasn't able to select multiple entries from the list
(I tried it in the search dialog).

Here come's the second version of my proposal:
You like your kind of sorting. To me (perhaps to other users as well) it's not
that obvious and perhaps not that straight forward.
So what about asking the user how to sort? I could think of several ways to do
so:
Let's have a context menu for sorting, available at each list box (momentarily
it offers renaming, etc. for an selected item; it could have some sorting
entries as well): "sort by most recent use", "sort by name".
Alternatively you could have a sort toggle button near every list box. One
state is for "sort by most recent use" (showing an calendar icon), the other
one is "sort by name" (showing a letter).
Or you could have both.
You also could integrate the way of sorting into to kimdaba config dialog
where you define the picture categories.
I'd like the idea to have different ways to configure sorting and to save this
info with the kimdaba index.xml file.

Is this something you could think about?

Thanks
Reimar