[KimDaBa] timeline display

Jesper K. Pedersen blackie at blackie.dk
Mon Dec 13 07:47:50 GMT 2004

On Monday 13 December 2004 08:33, jedd wrote:
|  Hey Jesper,
|
|  That looks damned sexy!
|
|  If you hover the mouse over the '2000' (in the second picture) and
|  use the wheel .. can you zoom into that part of the bar?
|
|  If you can't .. I've worked out what you can do on your next day off.
Currently I'm still fighting displaying the amount of images in a given
period, so currently there really isn't much actions attached.

But there will for sure be actions to zoom and or navigate the view.

|  Now .. how to display numbers of different location/person/keyword
|  tags associated with each of those 'time-bars'.  Maybe start with
|  showing the total number of unique tags (across all the option
|  groups) within each bar .. and display that number within the blue
|  bars.  Not sure if it should be a config item to be able to select
|  whether you want the time-bar to show you # of keywords, OR
|  people *OR* locations .. I'm wary of advocating bloat in config boxes.
I still haven't seatled down on exactly how the bar is to be used in KimDaBa,
but it goes something along these lines:

The current "show images (0-100)", "show images (101-20)" etc will likely be
thrown out. Instead there will only be a "show images". That display will
still only show 100 images at a time (and "100" is still configurable ;-)
At the top of the thumbnail view you will be able to see the timeline bar.
So once you have navigated to the images you are interested in (say all images
of you), then you may jump around these "time wise" using the time line bar.

Another thing I'm considering is to limit the current visible set of images by
dragging out a selection in the timeline, which will somehow render the date
selection dialog useless.

Finally, it should also be possible to zoom out from the current
person/location/keyword selection, to see all images at your current time.
The usecase would be something like this:
you select "persons -> you", to see all images of you over time.
using the thumbnail view and time line you find a funny image from a party
back in 1990, and now staying at that time, you "zoom out" of the scope
"person->you", to see all images from that party.