T10755: Unifying Applications' release versions
noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Apr 2 15:56:04 BST 2019
ngraham created this task.
Right now, all software released under the KDE Plasma and KDE Frameworks products use consistent version numbers, both in CMake and in user-visible locations. However some KDE Applications still use their own version numbering system rather than the common schema (e.g. 19.04.0). This presents the following issues:
- User confusion ("I thought I was using KDE Applications 18.12 but it seems like I'm actually using Okular 1.6.2?")
- Brand dilution for KDE apps to not use the version numbering system of the KDE applications product they're released with
- Confusion and extra work for bug triagers mapping the app's own version to the KDE Applications version in bug reports
- Inability to display a consistent "KDE Applications" version in KInfoCenter
- Extra work for developers having to maintain their own version code rather than letting the release team take care of it for them
- Inability to script adding `<release>` tags to KDE apps' AppData files
I would like to propose that we move towards using the same version numbering system for all KDE apps, the same way we do for all KDE Frameworks and everything released under the Plasma umbrella.
Cc: sitter, jriddell, #spectacle, #gwenview, #konsole, #kate, #dolphin, aacid, cfeck, #kde_applications, ngraham
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the konsole-devel