T10755: Unifying Applications' release versions

Luigi Toscano noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Apr 2 16:27:49 BST 2019

ltoscano added a comment.

  I disagree.

  - The version number is prominently displayed inside the application. We even changed Frameworks to make sure that the version number is well visible in the first tab, because the version has been hidden on the second tab of the About dialog for a while.
  - KDE Applications is an bundle of loosly-coupled application, good for logistical reasons (less release work on each developer), but as it happened applications can go in and out anytime. Going out may make the original version useless and have more impact on packagers (epoch).
  - the internal version can be still found
  - there shouldn't be a consistent version inside KInfoCenter and I would oppose it even if all applications in KDE Applications had the same version number. The applications part of KDE Applications don't belong there, otherwise why shouldn't we list everything released by us with its own release cycle?
  - there is no extra burden for the developers who freely choose to keep their version number
  - about the version number in the release can be probably solved - we already have some magic to create the bugzilla versions.

  I would find it more useful for branding purposes and less confusing to find a better instead of the confusing "KDE Applications".

TASK DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/T10755