[Konsole-devel] konsole pgup and pgdown

Robert Knight robertknight at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 14:54:51 UTC 2009

Hello,

> sorry it took me so long but I find it extremely hard to understand
> and use the mailing list

What aspect of using the mailing list did you find difficult?
As an alternative to using a mailing list you can:

1)  Email me or one of the other developers directly (our addresses
are listed in Help -> About Konsole in Konsole itself) -
although to use the mailing list itself you can just email konsole-devel at kde.org
2)  Use the user forum at forum.kde.org

> If so then mc has allays used ctrl+pgup and pgdown but now after all
> the years of using konsole, konsole is interfering with an app that
> its supposed to run just like from cli(terminal,shell)

These things are not so simple.  An alternative argument is that all
applications which have tabs should behave consistently and
in other tabbed applications like Firefox, Konqueror etc,
Ctrl+PageUp/PageDown switches tabs and the behavior should be the same
in Konsole.  What we have actually done is to pick a compromise in
most cases which is to take the standard shortcut for an action and
add Shift to avoid conflicting with terminal applications.  For
example, Ctrl+C is the standard key sequence to kill a command in a
terminal but it is also the standard key sequence to copy text.  So in
Konsole we use Ctrl+Shift+C instead.

> 5) Frustrating to have to fix something that worked before with ease.

Yes, I appreciate that changes can be frustrating.  Yes, I appreciate
that it can be annoying for some users when behavior changes.
However, I have to deal with:

a)  The needs of new users who are confused by the existing behavior
b)  The needs of old users who do not like the existing behavior and
do want it changed
c)  The needs of new users who do like the existing behavior and do
not want it changed

Regards,
Robert.