[Konsole-devel] Konsole Menubar layout

Kent C. Johnson kentyman at kentyman.com
Tue Aug 6 20:49:01 UTC 2002

On Tue, 2002-08-06 at 15:31, Eric Christopherson wrote:
> Couldn't we list the currently running sessions in the Session menu (rename
> it Sessions if you wish)? Then there would be good reason to move to "new"
> things to a submenu.

I was toying around with that idea, but then I think it might clutter
the Session(s) menu just as the "New" things do, and throwing them into
a submenu is just something I don't think is very common, and loses the
familiarity people have with the way things work.

> On a semi-related note: Would it be possible to make the "default" behavior
> of the New button configurable? I.e., in older releases simple clicking on
> the button would always launch the same type of session, but in current
> versions it launches whatever you launched last. That's extremely annoying
> to me (especially since there is essentially no indication of what kind of
> session will open), though I understand some people prefer it. I guess what
> I'm suggesting is to make a config option for that (if you're worried about
> cluttering the dialog, just put it in the .rc as an "advanced" option :) )

That seems like a good idea.

> > There is no "Python" default. It's a distribution bug. Do you use Knoppix?
>
> Ah, I never noticed that wasn't a default. But on my (debian unstable)
> system, all the entries in the Session menu start with "New," so no
> inconsistency as Kent sees.

I'll see if updating fixes this, and if it is indeed a bug I'll bring it
back up later.

> Is there some way to locally "hide" session types, the way you can hide K
> menu entries? My system-wide konsole config files specify lots of sessions I
> never use and would sooner have removed from the menu, but I haven't found
> any way to remove them without actually becoming root and removing the
> system-wide session files.

This is the problem I had with Midnight Commander and such.  Perhaps
just a checkbox for each session saying whether or not it should be
hidden?  Perhaps the "hidden" (or whatever it would be called) ones
could have their own submenu in Session(s)?

Just brainstorming...

Regards,
Kent