[Konsole-devel] Konsole Menubar layout

Eric Christopherson rakko at charter.net
Tue Aug 6 20:31:00 UTC 2002

On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 10:12:26AM +0200, Stephan Binner wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 August 2002 06:21, Kent C. Johnson wrote:
>
> > I have some ideas/suggestions/requests for the Konsole Menubar.  I would
>
> It may help if you look at the current CVS version rather the KDE 3.0 one,
> there are many new menu entries added.
>
> > + New ->
> >   + Shell
>
> Does this ease something? A submenu IMO only slows down starting new session.

See below.

> > Tools ->
> > Window ->
>
> I don't like it. These are not windows like where the term is used elsewhere.

Couldn't we list the currently running sessions in the Session menu (rename
it Sessions if you wish)? Then there would be good reason to move to "new"
things to a submenu.

On a semi-related note: Would it be possible to make the "default" behavior
of the New button configurable? I.e., in older releases simple clicking on
the button would always launch the same type of session, but in current
versions it launches whatever you launched last. That's extremely annoying
to me (especially since there is essentially no indication of what kind of
session will open), though I understand some people prefer it. I guess what
I'm suggesting is to make a config option for that (if you're worried about
cluttering the dialog, just put it in the .rc as an "advanced" option :) )

> > This would also get rid of the current inconsistancy, where "New Linux
> > Console" starts with "New" but "Python" doesn't (and also doesn't read
> > "Python Interpreter" like it should).
>
> There is no "Python" default. It's a distribution bug. Do you use Knoppix?

Ah, I never noticed that wasn't a default. But on my (debian unstable)
system, all the entries in the Session menu start with "New," so no
inconsistency as Kent sees.

Is there some way to locally "hide" session types, the way you can hide K
menu entries? My system-wide konsole config files specify lots of sessions I
never use and would sooner have removed from the menu, but I haven't found
any way to remove them without actually becoming root and removing the
system-wide session files.

--
Furrfu!		r a k k o  at  c h a r t e r  dot  n e t