[Konsole-devel] Konsole Menubar layout

Kent C. Johnson kentyman at kentyman.com
Tue Aug 6 20:39:22 UTC 2002

On Tue, 2002-08-06 at 03:12, Stephan Binner wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 August 2002 06:21, Kent C. Johnson wrote:
>
> > I have some ideas/suggestions/requests for the Konsole Menubar.  I would
>
> It may help if you look at the current CVS version rather the KDE 3.0 one,
> there are many new menu entries added.

You're right, I have the current CVS version but I haven't built it
yet.  That'll be my next step.

> > + New ->
> >   + Shell
>
> Does this ease something? A submenu IMO only slows down starting new session.

Doesn't really ease something, just does a more logical grouping (IMO).
Basically it unclutters my Session menu so I don't have to see things
like Root Midnight Commander, which I have no idea is (yes I'm pretty
new to Linux) and I cannot seem to get rid of (maybe this is changed in
CVS version?).

I got the idea for a New submenu from web browsers, such as Mozilla,
which seem to use it to not clutter their File menu.  Granted Konqueror
doesn't have it, but that doesn't mean it can't be useful in other KDE
apps.

Like I said, just throwing out ideas.  If no one likes the idea, forget
about it. :)

> > Tools ->
> > Window ->
>
> I don't like it. These are not windows like where the term is used elsewhere.

I agree, I was a little iffy on the Window menu name.  But what about
keeping that as View, and at least taking the Monitor for Activity,
Monitor for Silence, and Send Input to All Sessions out and putting them
in something like Tools?  I really fail to see how they have anything to
do with the view of Konsole.

> > This would also get rid of the current inconsistancy, where "New Linux
> > Console" starts with "New" but "Python" doesn't (and also doesn't read
> > "Python Interpreter" like it should).
>
> There is no "Python" default. It's a distribution bug. Do you use Knoppix?

Ah, my bad.  No actually I don't even know what Knoppix is, but I am
using the testing branch of Debian, and (as of a couple days ago) the
newest deb seems to have the problem.

> Bye,
>    Steve

Thanks for the reply and insight.