Dynamic library with an add-on

Paul Chitescu Paul.Chitescu at IMC-Group.org
Thu Jun 12 15:38:56 CEST 2003

"Luciano Montanaro" <mikelima at virgilio.it> wrote:
> Hi Paul, I have seen you committed something to this effect since
yesterday.
> Is it safe to port it to the head, or should I wait a bit more?

Please wait a little more until I will have at least one working example. I
have to figure out how to tell the linker to resolve symbols back in the
konqueror executable. Of course the dynamic add-ons have to be built after
the main executable.

> Cool, I didn't realize that option made such a difference. Since, as you
say
> it is currently needed when kjs is dynamically loaded, it should be added
for
> that case only. I'll change the configure.in.in script in head to only
enable
> it in that case, for now.

I don't think dynamically loading Javascript still works - but what do I
know, I didn't try it.

I've already modified the autoconf and automake input files to take care of
symbols. Look in konq-embed/configure.in.in and konq-embed/src/Makefile.am
at the variables "require_dlopen", "export_symbols" and "EXPORT_SYMBOLS".

There are still some cases when the symbols are unnecessarily exported -
like when using --enable-dlopen-addons but no add-on actually links against
kde but just other libraries: libc, qt - like adding a QImage converter or
applying a QStyle.
Maybe add support for something like "--enable-dlopen-addons=noexport" ?
That would be easy.

One more thing I would like to do is to write some documentation. Many
features were added but no documentation except what can be found on this
list.

--
 Paul Chitescu
 pchitescu at null.ro   http://pchitescu.null.ro/   ICQ:22641673