Dynamic library with an add-on

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at virgilio.it
Thu Jun 12 16:58:34 CEST 2003

torsdag 12 juni 2003, 13:38, skrev Paul Chitescu:
> "Luciano Montanaro" <mikelima at virgilio.it> wrote:
> > Hi Paul, I have seen you committed something to this effect since
>
> yesterday.
>
> > Is it safe to port it to the head, or should I wait a bit more?
>
> Please wait a little more until I will have at least one working example. I
> have to figure out how to tell the linker to resolve symbols back in the
> konqueror executable. Of course the dynamic add-ons have to be built after
> the main executable.

All right then, no need to hurry.

> > Cool, I didn't realize that option made such a difference. Since, as you
>
> say
>
> > it is currently needed when kjs is dynamically loaded, it should be added
>
> for
>
> > that case only. I'll change the configure.in.in script in head to only
>
> enable
>
> > it in that case, for now.
>
> I don't think dynamically loading Javascript still works - but what do I
> know, I didn't try it.

I'm not sure either. I used to use --with-javascript=dynamic a while ago, but
I stopped using it when I managed to unbreak static linking.

> I've already modified the autoconf and automake input files to take care of
> symbols. Look in konq-embed/configure.in.in and konq-embed/src/Makefile.am
> at the variables "require_dlopen", "export_symbols" and "EXPORT_SYMBOLS".
>
> There are still some cases when the symbols are unnecessarily exported -
> like when using --enable-dlopen-addons but no add-on actually links against
> kde but just other libraries: libc, qt - like adding a QImage converter or
> applying a QStyle.
> Maybe add support for something like "--enable-dlopen-addons=noexport" ?
> That would be easy.
>
> One more thing I would like to do is to write some documentation. Many
> features were added but no documentation except what can be found on this
> list.

I suppose these have been added in your recent patches. I have not yet looked
at them, currently I have simply defined an EXPORT_DYNAMIC_OPTION variable,
which is set to "" unless dynamic javascript loading is requred. I will not
commit it though, since the work you are doing will obsolete this change.

Luciano

--
Luciano Montanaro// My public GPG key can be  /"\ ASCII RIBBON
               \X/ found at wwwkeys.pgp.net   \ /   CAMPAIGN