Konqueror: Simon, are you there?

Simon Hausmann konq-e@mail.kde.org
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 17:55:36 +0100

On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 05:22:33PM +0100, Paolo Scaffardi wrote:
> Dear Simon,
> 	we have a BIG problem with konqe because we need to get a
> working version of it with our product but we still report linux/konqe
> hangs when browsing some pages (www.google.it, like i explane in the
> message i forwarded here).

I just tried the steps you mentioned for google.it and it works just
fine for me (tested on arm-linux (iPAQ) as well as on x86-linux (in
the virtual framebuffer)) . Do you have the impression that it's a
crash? Can you try making it dump core (set the coredump size to
something reasonable with ulimit in your shell) and analyze it with
gdb?

> 	I am not able to fix that problem, so i am asking if you can
> help us in that work, also by telling us if you can do that, how much
> should it cost and the time you need and so on.

I'm afraid I don't have the time currently :-(

> 	I know that is a strange request, but we really dont know how to
> deep indagate in konqe...
>
> 	Please, reply me this time.
>
> 	Is the mailing list dead?

It's up again. There used to be trouble with two KDE servers, one of
them being the central mail server. It was down almost a week.

> 	Did you see my posted patches?

I probably missed them :-( University just keeps me more busy than
I'd like :-(

> 2) Try loading www.amazon.com, then look at the center paragraphs.
> Scroll down the page until you should see one paragraph starting with
> "Top Sellers in Electronics". The first letter is repeated twice: the
> first time alone in a row, the second time with all the paragraph. I've
> seen this problem with many sites. The first letter of paragraphs seems
> repeating randomly.

Yes, that bug I can reproduce. I remember that Dirk fixed it once
but I can't remember what the exact fix was. I'll talk to him (as
soon as he's back) . This is indeed a quite annoying bug.

Simon