TD Bank and strange QFX Format

Ryan Novosielski ryan at novosielski.com
Tue Oct 15 05:00:54 BST 2019

On Mon, Oct 14, 2019, at 11:06 PM, Jack wrote:
> Hello, Ryan,
>
> On 2019.10.14 18:30, Ryan Novosielski wrote:
> > Using KMyMoney 5.0.0.
> >
> > Recently TD Bank changed their website around, and now when I
> > download a transaction history for a credit card now, it imports kind
> > of screwy. In the native OFX importer, I get every transaction with a
> > name of **UNASSIGNED** and the transaction is a credit instead of a
> > charge as it should be.
> >
> > I tried importing via OFX through AqBanking instead. That at least
> > gets the name of the retailer correct, but the transactions are still
> > credits instead of charges.
> >
> > Any advice for the best way to make this somewhat less painful?
> This is unfortunately, not an uncommon issue.
>
> I can post more details tomorrow, but there is a configuration choice
> which OFX tag is used for selecting the Payee.  You might need to look
> into what the bank is actually providing, but you can try different
> values for this choice.
>
> I'll restrain myself from simply suggesting choosing a different bank,
> since this type of problem sooner or later hits all providers.  The
> issue is that while the bank itself might or might not program it's
> website, it is almost certain that their OFX interface is most likely
> contracted out to a different provider, most likely unconnected to
> their basic website.

I don't actually use them as a bank, just their credit card, but yes, they are awful in all sorts of ways, so they're probably history in the long run, but that doesn't help this month.

> For the setting I referred to, open the account in the ledger, then
> edit the account, select the online settings tab, then the Import
> Details subtab.  Try the different options for the "Payee's name is
> based on contects of the OFS tag" dropdown.  (choices are Payeeid,
> Name, and Memo.)

Does this account have to be mapped to an online account in order for you to see that option? I went looking in the documentation earlier, found that suggestion, and can't find it anyplace in the actual software. This bank also doesn't support Direct Connect, so far as I know.

--
  Ryan Novosielski
  ryan at novosielski.com