TD Bank and strange QFX Format

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Tue Oct 15 18:03:57 BST 2019

On Dienstag, 15. Oktober 2019 06:00:54 CEST Ryan Novosielski wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 14, 2019, at 11:06 PM, Jack wrote:
> > Hello, Ryan,
> >
> > On 2019.10.14 18:30, Ryan Novosielski wrote:
> > > Using KMyMoney 5.0.0.
> > >
> > > Recently TD Bank changed their website around, and now when I
> > > download a transaction history for a credit card now, it imports kind
> > > of screwy. In the native OFX importer, I get every transaction with a
> > > name of **UNASSIGNED** and the transaction is a credit instead of a
> > > charge as it should be.
> > >
> > > I tried importing via OFX through AqBanking instead. That at least
> > > gets the name of the retailer correct, but the transactions are still
> > > credits instead of charges.
> > >
> > > Any advice for the best way to make this somewhat less painful?
> > This is unfortunately, not an uncommon issue.
> >
> > I can post more details tomorrow, but there is a configuration choice
> > which OFX tag is used for selecting the Payee.  You might need to look
> > into what the bank is actually providing, but you can try different
> > values for this choice.
> >
> > I'll restrain myself from simply suggesting choosing a different bank,
> > since this type of problem sooner or later hits all providers.  The
> > issue is that while the bank itself might or might not program it's
> > website, it is almost certain that their OFX interface is most likely
> > contracted out to a different provider, most likely unconnected to
> > their basic website.
>
> I don't actually use them as a bank, just their credit card, but yes, they are awful in all sorts of ways, so they're probably history in the long run, but that doesn't help this month.
>
> > For the setting I referred to, open the account in the ledger, then
> > edit the account, select the online settings tab, then the Import
> > Details subtab.  Try the different options for the "Payee's name is
> > based on contects of the OFS tag" dropdown.  (choices are Payeeid,
> > Name, and Memo.)
>
> Does this account have to be mapped to an online account in order for you to see that option? I went looking in the documentation earlier, found that suggestion, and can't find it anyplace in the actual software. This bank also doesn't support Direct Connect, so far as I know.

This is probably what you are looking for:

commit 65e3837697c9378616a7eda2ba3387d1208f288e
Author: Thomas Baumgart <thb at net-bembel.de>
Date:   Sun Apr 7 09:12:22 2019 +0200

    Provide method to construct unique transaction ID for OFX import

    User reports show, that the FITID attribute provided by some
    institutions during OFX statement download is not as unique as it is
    specified. In fact, some banks issue a different FITID every time you
    download the same statement.

    This makes the FITID attribute absolutely worthless for duplicate
    detection.

    Since asking banks to fix their software has no reasonable chance to
    lead to success on short call, this change allows to switch the
    duplicate detection to be based on a method provided by KMyMoney. In
    fact it uses the same algorithm which works well in the KBanking
    importer for years already. Note: switching from "OFX FITID" to
    "KMyMoney Hash" may result in duplicates for one more time.

    At the same time, the OFX import options are now available during file
    import and not only for mapped accounts (OFX direct connect).

    BUG: 390681
    FIXED-IN: 5.0.4

Regards

Thomas

Laziness led to the invention of the most useful tools.