Investment value

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Fri May 18 21:12:52 UTC 2018

Hi Koos,

On 2018.05.18 17:03, Koos Pol wrote:

> The total investment value (both from the reports and as shown in the
> ledger) seems to also use the last purchase price of a stock.
I have not tested myself, but I would expect total investment value to
be the current total value of the investment, which should use the most
recent available price.  I hope you don't see the most recent purchase
price applied to any shares other than those purchased at that price,
unless that price is also assumed to be the most recent value of a
share.

> (1) I think this is a misnomer. I would think the investment value
> should reflect the purchase value. Agree?
I think the term "basis" is more often used for the purchased value or
original investment.

> (2) Regardless of a possible misnomer: from a bookkeeping perspective
> there is a definite use for having a report showing the purchase
> value as that has a place in the fiscal overview.
I agree both the original investment and current value are needed.  If
there is any confusion between the two, then we do need to clarify the
terminology and/or labels used.

> [openSUSE 42.3 is still on KMM 4.8.1. So apologies if this has
> already been resolved]
Although some changes are possible in the short term, it is likely that
any full resolution of this will have to wait until a significant
overhaul of how investments are handled in the program.  There have
been quite a number of threads on the mailing list, as well as
bugs/wishlists filed, so it it likely there will be significant
discussion before any actual changes are made.