Investment value

Koos Pol koos2017 at pohw.nl
Sat May 19 12:09:18 UTC 2018

Op 18-05-18 om 23:12 schreef Jack:

>> (1) I think this is a misnomer. I would think the investment value
>> should reflect the purchase value. Agree?
> I think the term "basis" is more often used for the purchased value or
> original investment.

You could be right!

>> (2) Regardless of a possible misnomer: from a bookkeeping perspective
>> there is a definite use for having a report showing the purchase
>> value as that has a place in the fiscal overview.
> I agree both the original investment and current value are needed.  If
> there is any confusion between the two, then we do need to clarify the
> terminology and/or labels used.
>>
>> [openSUSE 42.3 is still on KMM 4.8.1. So apologies if this has
>> already been resolved]
> Although some changes are possible in the short term, it is likely
> that any full resolution of this will have to wait until a significant
> overhaul of how investments are handled in the program.  There have
> been quite a number of threads on the mailing list, as well as
> bugs/wishlists filed, so it it likely there will be significant
> discussion before any actual changes are made.

Sounds fair enough :-)

BTW, sort of a related remark: this triggers me to check how well BIRT
or Jasper can handle the KMM data. Depending on the requirements and
context (country, fiscal regime, accounting characteristics, etc) it
could be possible to provide for a pool of external reports. Not saying
that KMM is insufficient, just checking how flexible an alternative
could be.

Cheers,
Koos