Transferring amouts from Cheque to Saving Account...

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Tue May 30 15:59:52 UTC 2017

Hello again,

I think I had the right idea, but just used the wrong words.  Sorry for
adding to the confusion.

On 2017.05.29 05:25, Thomas Baumgart wrote:
> Hi,
>
> may I join you guys with my giant spider killer ;) More comments
> inline.
>
> On Montag, 29. Mai 2017 14:15:00 CEST zed wrote:
>
> > Jack <ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> > > Don't worry - it happens to all of us at times.
> Confirmed.

>>> The one critical piece is that you have to tell it where to
>>> transfer the funds.  In this case, you need to use the Transfer to
>>> field and either select the other account, or start typing it's
>>> name, and the list of choices should narrow to make it easier to
>>> select.  Depending on whether you are in the sending or recieving
>>> account, you can change the direction of transfer by the first
>>> drop-down - startin g at "Pay to" but the other choice id "From."
>>> What is probably the most confusing issue here is that you do not
>>> need to put anything in that field next to "Pay to."  As with
>>> Deposit and Withdrawal transactions, it lets you specify a
>>> Category.  However, for transfers, I think it is rare that you need
>>> to do that.  Categories are mostly used to track where your money
>>> comes from and where it goes to.  A transfer is just moving money
>>> between two of your accounts, so a category is rarely needed.  It
>>> might be used if you wanted to track the different reasons you
>>> transferred money between accounts - but it is up to you.
> Ooops, here we go: category is just a placeholder for 'income/expense
> account'. So the category field is exactly where you need to enter
> that name of the savings account, not in the payee field. Leave the
> payee empty, as you pay to yourself.
Yes, that first field ('Pay to' or 'From') is Payee, not Category.  The
second field ('Transfer to' or 'Transfer from') is for the other
account.

> I wonder how we can make that more clear in the UI that a category is
> an account or vice versa.

I think this may be getting into philosophy or metaphysics, rather than
just a UI design question.  Although categories and accounts do show up
in the same drop-down, I think most of the time, the user is looking
for either one or the other, depending on the action.  For a transfer -
it would be an account.  I think the confusion here is that both fields
are "To" or "From" something.  I'm tempted to suggest simply disabling
the payee field when the transaction is a transfer.  For a Deposit or
Withdrawal transaction, the field is labelled "Category," and I don't
think anyone would try to use an account, even though they are included
in the drop-down.

> morning.
> > >
> > > Also cool and cloudy here in Connecticut, but still Sunday
> evening :-)
> > >
> > > Write back if this isn't enough to clear the cobwebs.
> >
> > Thank you for a very prompt reply.  It is very much appreciated.
> >
> > Sadly, I'm still doing something wrong :-(
> >
>> (1) I am in the Cheque account and want to transfer money to the
>> Savings Account.
> >
>> (2) I select "Transfer" and accept the default "Pay to"
> >
> (2a) put the cursor into the category field, then continue with (3)
Aha - if you have selected the "Transfer" tab, and "Pay to" then the
second field should say "Transfer to" not "Category."  Hopefully, you
said "category field" only because I said so, and really do mean the
"Payee" field.  That's a mistake I should not have made.

>> (3) Start typing the name of the Saving Account but all it brings up
>> is a list of Payees!
> A list of accounts should appear.
The list of Payees should be in the "Pay to" (first) field, not the
"Transfer to" (second) field, which should indeed have the list of
accounts.