Transferring amouts from Cheque to Saving Account...

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Mon May 29 09:25:50 UTC 2017

Hi,

may I join you guys with my giant spider killer ;) More comments inline.

On Montag, 29. Mai 2017 14:15:00 CEST zed wrote:

> Jack <ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> > Hello Davie,
> >
> > On 2017.05.28 19:24, zed wrote:
> > > KMMoney v4.6.6 on LinuxMint v18.1
> > >
> > > My mind has turned to mush :-(
> >
> > Don't worry - it happens to all of us at times.

Confirmed.

> > > I have set up a Cheque Account and a Savings account and from time to
> > > time transfer amounts between the two.
> > >
> > > I open the Ledger and click on Transfer and am presented with a "Pay
> > > to/From" option and a "Transfer to" option.  Right, should be simple,
> > > shouldn't it?  But this is where my brain refuses to co-operate and
> > > whatever I do, after I enter the date and amount I cannot save the
> > > entry.
> >
> > The one critical piece is that you have to tell it where to transfer the
> > funds.  In this case, you need to use the Transfer to field and either
> > select the other account, or start typing it's name, and the list of
> > choices should narrow to make it easier to select.  Depending on whether
> > you are in the sending or recieving account, you can change the
> > direction of transfer by the first drop-down - startin g at "Pay to" but
> > the other choice id "From."  What is probably the most confusing issue
> > here is that you do not need to put anything in that field next to "Pay
> > to."  As with Deposit and Withdrawal transactions, it lets you specify a
> > Category.  However, for transfers, I think it is rare that you need to
> > do that.  Categories are mostly used to track where your money comes
> > from and where it goes to.  A transfer is just moving money between two
> > of your accounts, so a category is rarely needed.  It might be used if
> > you wanted to track the different reasons you transferred money between
> > accounts - but it is up to you.

Ooops, here we go: category is just a placeholder for 'income/expense
account'. So the category field is exactly where you need to enter that name
of the savings account, not in the payee field. Leave the payee empty, as you
pay to yourself.

I wonder how we can make that more clear in the UI that a category is an
account or vice versa.

> > > As most of my transfer entries would be from the Cheque Account to the
> > > Savings Account, what options should I choose to effect the transfer,
> > > please?  I am in the Cheque Account Ledger.
> > >
> > > I have read the comprehensive KMM Manual but cannot find anything
> > > dealing with what one actually does with Transfers between accounts.
> > >
> > > Regards from New Zealand on a very cool and cloudy Monday morning.
> >
> > Also cool and cloudy here in Connecticut, but still Sunday evening :-)
> >
> > Write back if this isn't enough to clear the cobwebs.
>
> Thank you for a very prompt reply.  It is very much appreciated.
>
> Sadly, I'm still doing something wrong :-(
>
> (1) I am in the Cheque account and want to transfer money to the Savings
> Account.
>
> (2) I select "Transfer" and accept the default "Pay to"

(2a) put the cursor into the category field, then continue with (3)

> (3) Start typing the name of the Saving Account but all it brings up is a
> list of Payees!

A list of accounts should appear.

> (4) Try the other way round by entering Savings Account and then starting
> the name of the cheque account.  Again, just a list of Payees!
>
> (5) Go to Payees and enter the name of the Savings Account and the name of
> the Cheque Account as payees. Note: I'll try anything when I'm desperate!)

It looks like it. At least what you are trying does not make sense to me.

> (6) Redo step 3 but at completion of details (date and amount) cannot save
> the entry.
>
> (7) Try the other way around with same result.
>
> Another thousand spiders have joined in the task of increasing the opacity
> of the cobebs!
>
> Any further hints, please?

Hope that helps.

And now closing, the weather report: hot and sunny here in Germany,
thunderstorms ahead :-)

https://www.telegram.org/ Telegram, the better whats app
'Only wimps use backup: _real_ men just upload their important stuff
on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it ;)' - Linus Torvalds