Transferring amouts from Cheque to Saving Account...

zed zed at zed.net.nz
Tue May 30 20:14:40 UTC 2017

Hi!

Thomas Baumgart <thb at net-bembel.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> may I join you guys with my giant spider killer ;) More comments inline.
>
> On Montag, 29. Mai 2017 14:15:00 CEST zed wrote:
>
> > Jack <ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> > > Don't worry - it happens to all of us at times.
>
> Confirmed.

> > > The one critical piece is that you have to tell it where to transfer
> > > the funds.  In this case, you need to use the Transfer to field and
> > > either select the other account, or start typing it's name, and the
> > > list of choices should narrow to make it easier to select.
> > > Depending on whether you are in the sending or recieving account,
> > > you can change the direction of transfer by the first drop-down -
> > > startin g at "Pay to" but the other choice id "From."  What is
> > > probably the most confusing issue here is that you do not need to
> > > put anything in that field next to "Pay to."  As with Deposit and
> > > Withdrawal transactions, it lets you specify a Category.  However,
> > > for transfers, I think it is rare that you need to do that.
> > > Categories are mostly used to track where your money comes from and
> > > where it goes to.  A transfer is just moving money between two of
> > > your accounts, so a category is rarely needed.  It might be used if
> > > you wanted to track the different reasons you transferred money
> > > between accounts - but it is up to you.
>

> Ooops, here we go: category is just a placeholder for 'income/expense
> account'. So the category field is exactly where you need to enter that
> name of the savings account, not in the payee field. Leave the payee
> empty, as you pay to yourself.

Thanks for that explanation. It helped considerably.

> I wonder how we can make that more clear in the UI that a category is an
> account or vice versa.

With your explanation it became obvious what I had to do.  Perhaps, that
explanation could be added to the appropriate place in the Manual.

> > > Also cool and cloudy here in Connecticut, but still Sunday evening
> > > :-)
> > >
> > > Write back if this isn't enough to clear the cobwebs.
> >
> > Thank you for a very prompt reply.  It is very much appreciated.
> >
> > Sadly, I'm still doing something wrong :-(
> >
> > (1) I am in the Cheque account and want to transfer money to the
> > Savings Account.
> >
> > (2) I select "Transfer" and accept the default "Pay to"
> >

> (2a) put the cursor into the category field, then continue with (3)
>
> > (3) Start typing the name of the Saving Account but all it brings up
> > is a list of Payees!
>
> A list of accounts should appear.
>
> > (4) Try the other way round by entering Savings Account and then
> > starting the name of the cheque account.  Again, just a list of
> > Payees!
> >
> > (5) Go to Payees and enter the name of the Savings Account and the
> > name of the Cheque Account as payees. Note: I'll try anything when I'm
> > desperate!)
>
> It looks like it. At least what you are trying does not make sense to
> me.
>
> > (6) Redo step 3 but at completion of details (date and amount) cannot
> > save the entry.
> >
> > (7) Try the other way around with same result.
> >
> > Another thousand spiders have joined in the task of increasing the
> > opacity of the cobebs!
> >
> > Any further hints, please?
>
> Hope that helps.
It did and the problem is now solved.  Thank you.

> And now closing, the weather report: hot and sunny here in Germany,
> thunderstorms ahead :-)

Cloudy skies on a Wednesday morning in Waipapa, New Zealand.

David
--
zed
A "running mate" is a husband who dared to talk back