Can't access Encryption settings

Nick Elliott nick at nick-elliott.net
Fri May 6 09:38:02 UTC 2016

> > On May 3, 2016, at 04:23, Nick Elliott <nick at nick-elliott.net> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've just done a clean install of Kubuntu 16.04 and now when I go into
> KMyMoney the encryption options in the configuration screen are ghosted out.
> >
> > As far as I can tell GPG is correctly installed on my system. On
> previous occasions after a clean install of the OS I never had to complete
> additional steps, it just worked.
> >
> > I was trying this because I can no longer open my encrypted KMyMoney
> data file. I posted about this in the KDE Forums (see
> https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=225&t=132709).
> >
> > Does anyone know if a component or library is missing from my system?
> >
> > If not I'll have to work out how to decrypt my data file manually using
> my GPG key.
>
> I think last time I needed to figure something like this out, I ran it
> from the command line and watched the output to see what it said about
> missing dependencies. There might be a flag you need to use to make it more
> verbose.
>
> I upgraded to 16.04 and it still works, FWIW. Decrypting is very easy BTW,
> just -d if I recall.
> > ᐧ
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kmymoney/attachments/20160503/4112cf84/attachment-0001.html

> Hi,
>
> On Tuesday 03 May 2016 18:14:58 Ryan Novosielski wrote:
>
> > > On May 3, 2016, at 04:23, Nick Elliott <nick at nick-elliott.net> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I've just done a clean install of Kubuntu 16.04 and now when I go into
> > > KMyMoney the encryption options in the configuration screen are ghosted
> > > out.
> > >
> > > As far as I can tell GPG is correctly installed on my system. On
> previous
> > > occasions after a clean install of the OS I never had to complete
> > > additional steps, it just worked.
> > >
> > > I was trying this because I can no longer open my encrypted KMyMoney
> data
> > > file. I posted about this in the KDE Forums (see
> > > https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=225&t=132709).
> > >
> > > Does anyone know if a component or library is missing from my system?
>
> The things that cross my mind are libqca2 (sorry, I am on an RPM based
> system
> here) and a running gpg agent.
>
> You can check for a running GPG agent with this command from a terminal:
>
>   set | grep GPG_AGENT_INFO
>
> This is how it looks here for me:
>
> thb at thb-nb:~$ set | grep GPG_AGENT_INFO
> GPG_AGENT_INFO=/tmp/gpg-ngvHmv/S.gpg-agent:20566:1
>
> The actual value sure is different for you, but if present the agent is
> running.
>
> > > If not I'll have to work out how to decrypt my data file manually
> using my
> > > GPG key.
>
> Easy enough:

> [...]

Thank you both for the responses.

I tried to decrypt my file but that didn't work.

It looks as if something has changed either in GPG or in the KGPG utility
(which I use to export and import my keyfile).

This time the process didn't work, after importing the keyfile the secret
file was showing using gpg --list-key but not using gpg --list-secret-keys.

I'm not sure why, this is something I've done many times before.

Anyway after restoring my .gnupg folder from backup I can open the
encrypted file in KMyMoney.

Thanks again.

Nick
ᐧ