Can't access Encryption settings

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Wed May 4 07:04:15 UTC 2016

Hi,

On Tuesday 03 May 2016 18:14:58 Ryan Novosielski wrote:

> > On May 3, 2016, at 04:23, Nick Elliott <nick at nick-elliott.net> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've just done a clean install of Kubuntu 16.04 and now when I go into
> > KMyMoney the encryption options in the configuration screen are ghosted
> > out.
> >
> > As far as I can tell GPG is correctly installed on my system. On previous
> > occasions after a clean install of the OS I never had to complete
> > additional steps, it just worked.
> >
> > I was trying this because I can no longer open my encrypted KMyMoney data
> > file. I posted about this in the KDE Forums (see
> > https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=225&t=132709).
> >
> > Does anyone know if a component or library is missing from my system?

The things that cross my mind are libqca2 (sorry, I am on an RPM based system
here) and a running gpg agent.

You can check for a running GPG agent with this command from a terminal:

  set | grep GPG_AGENT_INFO

This is how it looks here for me:

thb at thb-nb:~$ set | grep GPG_AGENT_INFO
GPG_AGENT_INFO=/tmp/gpg-ngvHmv/S.gpg-agent:20566:1

The actual value sure is different for you, but if present the agent is
running.

> > If not I'll have to work out how to decrypt my data file manually using my
> > GPG key.

Easy enough:

  gpg -d your-kmm-filename.kmy > test.xml
  kmymoney test.xml

KMyMoney has an indication inside the file that is was stored encrypted which
does not change when you decrypt it manually. Therefore you might see a
warning when you save the file that encryption is not available.

> I think last time I needed to figure something like this out, I ran it from
> the command line and watched the output to see what it said about missing
> dependencies. There might be a flag you need to use to make it more
> verbose.
>
> I upgraded to 16.04 and it still works, FWIW. Decrypting is very easy BTW,
> just -d if I recall.

Yes, see above.

Hope that helps.

What we call chaos is just patterns we haven't recognized.
What we call random is just patterns we can't decipher.
What we can't understand we call nonsense.
What we can't read we call gibberish. - Chuck Palahniuk