Change of payee name

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Thu Dec 29 14:08:03 UTC 2016

Hi Bob,

On Thursday 29 December 2016 11:48:45 Bob Williams wrote:

> One of my payees has merged with another business, resulting in a new
> name. If I change the payee name in KMM, then all the historical
> transactions change payee. This is good behaviour, as spelling sometimes
> needs to corrected, but see my next question.
>
> Is there a way to create a new payee but somehow link it to an existing
> payee, so that new transactions appear with the new name, but earlier
> transactions are still associated with the old name?

You can simply create a new payee using the payee view. Unfortunately, your e-
mail footer does not contain the KMyMoney version ;) but this works for a long
time.

I am not sure if I understand your 'problem' which would only exist in case
the two payees have the same name. Otherwise, they are just two separate
payees. The old one keeps all the transactions assigned to him/her, the new
one will get the new transactions.

It would get a bit tricky if you still receive online transactions with the
old name as payee information and want to map that to the new payee. But that
is also possible in KMyMoney.

Maybe you can share an example or explain the setup a bit more.

Hope that helps so far.

> Bob
> --
> Bob Williams
>    System:  Linux 4.4.36-8-default
>    Distro:  openSUSE 42.2 (x86_64)
>    Desktop: KDE Frameworks: 5.26.0, Qt: 5.6.1 and Plasma: 5.8.2

With every day I come closer to the grave and learn something new.
It all happens because I have wandered around too much and stumbled into
the Linux world - which is a fantastic place to be! (Algis Kabaila)